Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have been asked to design & build a deck to provide a level platform (on slightly sloping grass) to support a round plastic swimming pool...
the pool is:
diameter: 177", depth: 36"
i figure when it's full it could weigh bout 18.5 tons...does this sound right to anyone???
anyway what size of timber joists & spacing/ blocking would anybody recommend. the timber will be european larch.
is also possible to put concrete blocks wherever necessary as extra support. the deck will only be 4-8" off the ground @ any point.

i am thinking to use 9"x2" with regular spacing, 3/4 marine ply deck & then use concrete blocks & packers wherever necessary.

anyway to be more specific:
1: what section of joist to use, ie: 9x2/10x2 etc...
2: what spacing for joists & blocking, ie: 16" centres/ 4' blocking or closer?
3: what fixings, 5x80 decking screws or heavier???
4: what spacing for conc blocks

muchos apreciation 4 anyone who can give a safe estimation on this

ps: client doesn't want any poured concrete or steel work...

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,296 Posts
Forget about a deck for that thing, you need to level the ground & put down some crushed stone for a base. Around here the above ground pool installers level the ground with a bobcat, put in roadbase w/portland cement mix & compact it down, then install pool.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
At minimum why not just remove some dirt to make the ground level? Seems like it's getting over complicated, you're building a structure when there is perfectly good ground for it rest on underneath. Sometimes you have to tell HO's when their idea's are no good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would help if there was a little more info. Like, where is this project located and what is your location. i.e. U.S., U.K. or Canada. Also, the choice of timber seems a little odd to be using with a wally-world pool. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Forget the wood deck. Spend the money on a small retaining wall/steps on the high end and put the pool on the ground like everyone else. Anything else and you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have an 18' diameter and 4' deep pool. The inflatable ring type.
I put down sand to level the ground. About 6" on one side and nothing on the other.
I filled my pool and guess what.
:eek: It compacted and shifted the sand. My pool takes approximately 5500 gallons (Imperial) at 10 pounds per gallon, that is 55000 pounds.

We drained the pool, compacted the sand, added more sand, compacted again. Made it solid and level.
Filled it up and now it is good.

I used landscape fabric under the pool, and will put bricks around it.:whistling

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,296 Posts
I have an 18' diameter and 4' deep pool. The inflatable ring type.
I put down sand to level the ground. About 6" on one side and nothing on the other.
I filled my pool and guess what.
:eek: It compacted and shifted the sand. My pool takes approximately 5500 gallons (Imperial) at 10 pounds per gallon, that is 55000 pounds.

We drained the pool, compacted the sand, added more sand, compacted again. Made it solid and level.
Filled it up and now it is good.

I used landscape fabric under the pool, and will put bricks around it.:whistling
That's why you don't use sand for the base on above ground pools. It can be used on the outside edges to round off the edge, but nothing else. A good rain & it can washout too. Level ground helps too, the water is always going to be level so it'll show up if set on unlevel ground. One last thing, don't forget the weed killer, ha.

IMO, it's a waste of money to do any fancy for those cheapo pools. If it gets used for more than a season or two it will more than the norm.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Our pool is used almost every day for many hours. Our last pool was a 12' which our girls outgrew and we upgraded to 18'. If it lasts us 5 years like our first one did then they will be almost gone from home.

If not sand what would you suggest?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the speedy replies guys, quicker than i get round to doing...
anyway like the sound of leveling the ground
& small retaining wall on high side, nice wan curapa/ sar-con
client also liked this suggestion, especially after seeing the price of that deck structure i was thinkin bout.
no matter where you are in the world, the laws of physics are fairly similar C.M.J,
think i gave plenty of info, anyway just so you know am in ireland & can get european larch (treated/untreated) for same price as regular construction lumber, but it's much stronger & will last for 30-40 yrs outside untreated (heartwood) & up to 70yrs treated!!! this is why i use it for decking

·
Registered
56 Posts
no matter where you are in the world, the laws of physics are fairly similar C.M.J,
think i gave plenty of info, anyway just so you know am in ireland & can get european larch (treated/untreated) for same price as regular construction lumber, but it's much stronger & will last for 30-40 yrs outside untreated (heartwood) & up to 70yrs treated!!! this is why i use it for decking

I totally agree about the physics comment. lol It's just helpful to know where people are located so everyone can give informed advice. I had a feeling you were not located in the U.S. when you mentioned the use of Larch. It's just not commonly used here. I'm glad you were able to get the help you needed. Hope to see you around here again soon! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts