Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Saddle valve on Pex......NICE!

I hit one of those on copper while stapling wires once and I couldn't get it to stop leaking...I shut the water off, ran to the home depot bought a chunk of copper pipe, solder, flux, pipe cutter and couplings.

Didn't make much money on that job per/hour.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Wow!:eek:

I can't tell from the photo, but what is containing the water? It looks like a stainless steel toilet tank or something.:laughing:

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't work. It never pierced a hole.

I lost this job to a competitor. Lol, they always end up calling me though.

Here's more of the handy work I missed out on.

See if you can identify the problems.....

Dessert Machine Metal

Pipe Electrical wiring Rim Plumbing

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Wow!:eek:

I can't tell from the photo, but what is containing the water? It looks like a stainless steel toilet tank or something.:laughing:
It's the duct work, that's a saddle valve for the humidifier or a near by refrigerator ice maker.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts

View attachment 102799

View attachment 102800
I'm no plumber, but that looks like the crap I just did at our new place as temporary fix. At least I'll know where the leak is. :laughing:

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For starters, it's stupid to connect a CPVC female adapter to direct to a water heater.

I have a punch list of items I'll be re-doing on Monday. The entire job was a joke. Softener installed illegally. Pipes undersized. Shark bites leaking.

Pay now or pay later. I never complain on here but this just pisses me off. The remodeler who finished the basement used a plumber from 50 miles away, the cheapest guy possible. You should see the rest of the plumbing, it's ridiculous.

Brand new 75 gallon water heater that doesn't work. 2 weeks old. Total dip schit. The owners are so pissed off at the series of events that took place they don't even want him back for warranty work. They are gonna pay me instead. Awesome people.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
Piercing valves don't work on pex...It just crimped the pipe.
That one I figured. :laughing:

As for the other stuff, I thought that might be it, but wasn't sure.

I used a crapload of sharkbites on my repairs, but if I hired a plumber to plumb or do some good sized repairs, he better not pull out sharkbites.

Looking back, if I had known, I would have just picked up a crimper, but the job grew as I worked on it. All my stuff is exposed in the crawlspace, so eventually it will get done properly.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

View attachment 102799

View attachment 102800
That's the result of creating products that are intended to make things easier. This stuff is dumbing down your trade.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Mike,

What percentage of your work is fixing "others" F/U's like that?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That one I figured. :laughing:

As for the other stuff, I thought that might be it, but wasn't sure.

I used a crapload of sharkbites on my repairs, but if I hired a plumber to plumb or do some good sized repairs, he better not pull out sharkbites.

Looking back, if I had known, I would have just picked up a crimper, but the job grew as I worked on it. All my stuff is exposed in the crawlspace, so eventually it will get done properly.
I couldn't imagine a plumber using shark bites considering how expensive they are.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike,

What percentage of your work is fixing "others" F/U's like that?
That's really a hard answer to a tough question. I'll say maybe 1 out 6 but even that is misleading.

I'm an owner operator so I personally do the plumbing. This gives me a serious edge vs an employee that does work.

About 90% of my work is referral either from past customers or people who have just heard I'm worth calling first.

About 90% of my customers had previously had a plumber but they were either pissed at the final outcome or the event was not memorable enough to call them again. Believe it or not, many people don't remember who they last called. I make a big deal out of making the experience so memorable that they will never forget it. In other words, they feel mentally that it's a risk to call somebody else. Different topic for another day.

Many times, I show up and the previous plumber did a really good job but it wasn't memorable.

But overall I would say most plumbers are pretty decent.

This business is all about personality and relationships.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's the result of creating products that are intended to make things easier. This stuff is dumbing down your trade.
It doesn't effect me at all. Do it yourselfers are do it yourselfvers, those products are designed for them. And I hose people don't call anyhow.

My customers are NOT do it yourselfers. They could care less about the Home Depot isle. They pay to have plumbing done. Period.

With that said, many many times I have been called by people who TRIED the DIY thing and gave up. Win win.

FYI: DIY water distribution products represents less than 5% of my workload. Water barely is considers plumbing, an idiot can connect water. On a 3" thick code book water tales up about 10 pages worth.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It doesn't effect me at all. Do it yourselfers are do it yourselfvers, those products are designed for them. And I hose people don't call anyhow.

My customers are NOT do it yourselfers. They could care less about the Home Depot isle. They pay to have plumbing done. Period.

With that said, many many times I have been called by people who TRIED the DIY thing and gave up. Win win.

FYI: DIY water distribution products represents less than 5% of my workload. Water barely is considers plumbing, an idiot can connect water. On a 3" thick code book water tales up about 10 pages worth.

Interesting. Did not know that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts