Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I paint a handfull of houses a year. Exterior is what I'm talking about. I've got one coming up.

I had some problems with SW A-100 (the rep said its been reformulated and I read some stuff here too) so I think Super Paint is the minimum for me now. It has always worked well. I've used Duration on a couple too.

Now the counter guy is telling me about Reslience and wants to demo me a free gallon.

Anybody using Reslience exterior and how does it compare with Super Paint ? I'm being quoted $39 / gal mid tone base satin btw. Super Paint mid tone satin $30 / gal. Hmm...I'm looking at the A-100 quote $29 / gal ? Why would I want to use A-100 ??? I'm not the biggest customer.

I searched here and PT but couldn't find a thing.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
It is supposed to dry fast, is all my SW rep could tell me about the stuff. A-100 is garbage, Super Paint is my work horse. Duration is fine if you can get the HO to spring for it, it doesnt go as far and cost more.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Resilience is good but you have to two coat it to get warranty coverage. So it's not 29 a gallon, it's 60. I know I know, duration is the only one coat exterior paint.

Super paint is very similar in characteristics to resilience. Resilience is supposed to resist light rain within an hour. It also has a long cure time once the skin forms.

FWIW - I bought some resilience last year instead of super paint (they were out) and the csr said sarcastically, "Oh yeah, resilience is a much better paint than the super." I tried to pin him down on what that meant but he wouldn't budge.

I've always got good results from A-100. Anybody have some particulars on the formula change/new traits of the paint?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I recently used Resilience on a detached garage, and the trim(white with a half shot of black), needed two coats. I was a little disappointed that it didn't cover in one because they tout this stuff as being right there behind Duration in terms of quality.

That job turned out great though, but IMO, A100 would've done the trick just as well considering it was double coated. I haven't heard anything about A100being tinkered with?? For the price, A100 is a good paint and we've used it regularly with good results.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I hate A-100, I used it once white over white and it wouldnt cover in 2 coats to my satisfaction.
I think of it more as a builder type paint then anything I would actually want to use on a customers house.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Resilience is good but you have to two coat it to get warranty coverage. So it's not 29 a gallon, it's 60. I know I know, duration is the only one coat exterior paint

Not True, Ben Moore Aura is a 1 coat exterior paint. ( typically, condition of substrate is always a factor, you arent going to 1 coat new wood with a sheen and not have flashing...come on :rolleyes: )

Aura is completly different than all other paints out now. It uses 100% acrylic colorants ( a new system for me that im still learning ) Totally different from the Universal colorants that everyone else uses, universal colorants tint both latex and alkyd paints. These new tints are designed to work with acrylic paints only. The advantages are, faster re-coat time, better coverage, better color retention ( less fading ), extreme washability, less burnishing, and VOC free ( so its green....yay :rolleyes: )

I sell this product to contractors for $49.99 any color any finish.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I painted my bean counters exterior with it last month. Seemed to cover well and yes it does have a faster dry time so you need to be haulin a55 if you're using a satin sheen on a hot day.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Last I checked (2 minutes ago) the exterior Aura MSDS says it has less than 100 grams VOC, not that it's a zero VOC. It also does not claim to be one coat only. It says never more than two coats. I've heard from plenty of local painters that have used Aura and not one of them believes any claims of one coat coverage.

Right, AURA is "low" voc, and the colorants are VOC free. The NATURA is VOC free, but interior only :sad:, and it tints with the GENNEX ( Aura ) tints. And yes, never more than 2 coats, most in 1 coat. Thats the 100% truth, no BS lies like some company's. They have to word things properly, so some idiot doesent try to paint a house, over new wood, with a sheen, and then say, " this stuff sucks, its not 1 coat " blah blah blah..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts