Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer took on a deck refinishing project on her house where she striped , sanded and stained her deck (fairly large 1000 sq.ft) Surprisingly, everything came out pretty well minus the finish cost application. She stained in sections and left lap marks . The bottom of the rails also has plenty of drips. What's the best way to correct this without actually stripping it all down again ?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Regardless of input here I suggest also calling SW tech support.

I believe Deck Scapes says you can apply 2 coats if needed. My point being read the label carefully as a 1 coat product means a second will repel itself and should not be used. If so, it may have to weather a good while before reapplying.

Deck stains, even the good ones seem to be in reformulation mode season to season.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If it is a solid satin then a 2nd coat may be enough to fix it. Semi transparent then I am not too sure.

Check with SW just to make sure two coats is ok to do. I would then try a couple of boards, stain the whole length, and let it dry and make sure it will cover the way you want.

On the second coat just paint two or three boards, full length, at a time to reduce any lap marks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The thing is the deck has to be stripped with Deckscapes stain when applied your better off doing full boards this stops lap marks, to strip it spray the deck down with Thompson's deck wash it should remove the new stain just power wash it then you should be able to restrain just brush it out doing one board its full lenght. Good Luck:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts