Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has used sw bath paint? likes and dislikes welcome.
the ho wants duration satin. but im thinking of talking her into sw bath paint due to the fact that the walls have water streaks on them.thoughts?
also what do most of you guys use for problematic bathrooms with moisture issues.

·
FT Paint
6 Posts
Hey Alan, I've used their bath product several times. I found it to be much thinner and less hiding than their duration or super paint lines.

Because you said your bathroom isn't totally clean, I would still go with it. It's the right product for the job, and for something as small as a bathroom it's not a big deal.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
who has used sw bath paint? likes and dislikes welcome.
the ho wants duration satin. but im thinking of talking her into sw bath paint due to the fact that the walls have water streaks on them.thoughts?
also what do most of you guys use for problematic bathrooms with moisture issues.
Few separate issues here.

1) SW Bath paint is good. Covers well and has anti-microbial properties. It is not as good as Duration.

2) Duration satin is highly cleanable but does not have anti-microbial properties.

3) If you're trying to cover water stained walls, you should prime before paint.

4) If you want to be the hero, tell the HO paint is not the bathroom problem, poor or inadequate ventilation is. If there's enough moisture in there to condense on the walls, that's a big problem. The ventilation fan is either under-sized, not working or doesn't exist.

The ventilation issue may not be your problem but I'd definitely bring it to their attention. Paint is a temporary repair. Prolonged expose to moisture, that bathroom will start to be a breeding ground for mold and mildew.

If they decide to not worry about ventilation, go with a quality primer and paint with anti-microbial properties. And then tell them they're idiots and hope they don't mind respiratory problems down the road.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
On my bathroom i followed slickshifts advice a while back. Went with bulleyes123 interior exterior primer sealer. Then Zinsser permawhite mold and mildew resistant. Came out awesome. Both were on sale at menards.:laughing: Seriously i think i only paid like 10 or 11 a gallon.:thumbsup: This was a while back. Bath still looks great. I guarantee you bulleyes will cover those walls no matter what is on them.

ps. Your limited on tint for perma-white.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i'm going to wash the walls with tsp then oil prime with cover stain.
spray satin on the ceiling. and go with the sw bath satin for the walls.
then cash the check as soon as possible of coarse

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
I think i'm going to wash the walls with tsp then oil prime with cover stain.
spray satin on the ceiling. and go with the sw bath satin for the walls.
then cash the check as soon as possible of coarse
:eek:

Paint & run, huh? That sounds to me like you're being irresponsible. Why wouldn't you tell the HO they have a bigger problem? It's not like you created the problem. Sure you may not be able to fix whatever the issue is, therefore not make any money on it either, but that is what's called creating a relationship with your customer. I have a feeling you'd become their go-to painter if you were to mention what, as a professional, you see going on in that bath.

This cash the check and run mentality does nothing for your reputation or repeat business. I just don't understand that way of thinking. :no:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
angus I was joking I have done a few jobs for them over the years. and there's more work to come my way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Few separate issues here.

1) SW Bath paint is good. Covers well and has anti-microbial properties. It is not as good as Duration.

2) Duration satin is highly cleanable but does not have anti-microbial properties.

3) If you're trying to cover water stained walls, you should prime before paint.

4) If you want to be the hero, tell the HO paint is not the bathroom problem, poor or inadequate ventilation is. If there's enough moisture in there to condense on the walls, that's a big problem. The ventilation fan is either under-sized, not working or doesn't exist.

The ventilation issue may not be your problem but I'd definitely bring it to their attention. Paint is a temporary repair. Prolonged expose to moisture, that bathroom will start to be a breeding ground for mold and mildew.

If they decide to not worry about ventilation, go with a quality primer and paint with anti-microbial properties. And then tell them they're idiots and hope they don't mind respiratory problems down the road.
You bring up good points, but I would like to mention that most of SW's top tier interior paints will likely have mildicides in them. IIRC generally a 'bath' paint will dry a bit harder, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it's got water streaking issues, I would use an oil base finish. We had to paint paint a bathroom last year three times because of this very issue. The first time, I killed the bathroom with latex kilz and finish coated with Superpaint satin finish, the streaks came back one week later. I go out again and paint it with Superpaint, the streaks came back one month later. The customer calls me back for a third time and I'm pissed. I told the customer the only way I could possibly hide the water streaks was to use oil base as a finish. I put on promar 200 eggshell oil base and it turned out beautiful...haven't been called back either.

·
Pro
10 Posts
This thread was a pretty good read...a lot of different methods. Personally i'd take Angus's advice. Let the homeowner know they've probably got a bigger problem on their hands. Possibly have one of the contractors you do work for take a look at it for a second opinion. They usually have an idea on ventilation, leaks, etc. Once ready for paint, SW's bath paint or BM's Aura bath paint is the way to go (anti-microbials). If need be, hit it with BIN to prime out the streaking. This is how we do bathrooms, the only call back is a reference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts