Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I got the local code enforcement guy to go along with the suspended drywall ceiling talked about in another post.
I have been looking around on line for suppliers or specifications for a channel and hat channel ceiling system. Everything for drywall seems to be a t channel like a tile suspended ceiling. The problem is that the bar joists to hang from are 6' on center and the max span between wires is 4 feet. Does anyone know who still makes the c chanel system?

·
Registered
78 Posts
you might have to run unistrut between the joists. I was just up in one the other day and they used 2'' metal studs hung @ 4' oc than screwed more underneath them at 16" oc..... it had been up there a while it looked like they could of used some more wires....

·
special ed
39 Posts
building specialties on Hammond's ferry road carry's both types of grid the tee and the hat channel
the grids they sell are fire rated and they have the manufacturer specs. for the permit police

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alright I got the local code enforcement guy to go along with the suspended drywall ceiling talked about in another post.
I have been looking around on line for suppliers or specifications for a channel and hat channel ceiling system. Everything for drywall seems to be a t channel like a tile suspended ceiling. The problem is that the bar joists to hang from are 6' on center and the max span between wires is 4 feet. Does anyone know who still makes the c chanel system?
For suspended grid (drywall or exposed) where the joist is 6' OC, you start with one wire on the first joist, then two wires on the second, one on the third, and so on. You splay the double wires to obtain code of at least 4' OC. Always run the mainrunners perpendicular to the joist.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Armstrong makes a six foot cross tee . just went to a Armstrong seminar lots of new sheet rock grid ideals i really like the three holes at each cross tee attachment on main tee . all so they make 50 inch cross tee so the main wont bee in light . also have new wall angle that holds tees on 16 inch centers without a screw cool dude in broken arrow ok.:clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
chicago metallics wiil carry most everything you need they also carry a hanger that you can either screw to deckin or shoot depending on the substraight above

·
Registered
234 Posts
Make a grid with the hat channel. First grid on 6 foot centers over the hangers then the grid conneced to it on two foot centers running the opposite way. Use the L channels against the studs. Use hat channel for your runners.
At least thats the way I did it and never had any problems.
Mechanical rooms had to have fire coded rock on the ceiling. Not dropped ceilings.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
calply has it westside, also carries it you must live outthere in the boomies california has it all
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since the OP is from July of last year that he has found what he needed.:blink:

·
30 years +
2 Posts
splay wires

splay the wires ...2 wires from 1 joist ....2 ft one way and 2 ft another ...your problem id fixed...I do hat channel ceilings for a living...or you can use chicago grid, witch looks like act grid...either way you need thye wires at 4 ft on center

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since the OP is from July of last year that he has found what he needed.:blink:
splay the wires ...2 wires from 1 joist ....2 ft one way and 2 ft another ...your problem id fixed...I do hat channel ceilings for a living...or you can use chicago grid, witch looks like act grid...either way you need thye wires at 4 ft on center
:rolleyes:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
yea....

but where does the meet go.?.......and how do you turn it on ? your not qualified to run this machinery Elane.............Siefeld: Slicer episode~Cramer

Better yet~ the "scarable episode" ......qwone!........ that's not a word......? yes it is...you never heard the phrase "To Qwone someone" --classic!

Sometimes I just like to Splay around ...;)
Cramer,

·
Registered
6 Posts
For suspended grid (drywall or exposed) where the joist is 6' OC, you start with one wire on the first joist, then two wires on the second, one on the third, and so on. You splay the double wires to obtain code of at least 4' OC. Always run the mainrunners perpendicular to the joist.

Absolutley, this would be the easiest method to still use sheet rock grid. Double up the wires and let them angle. NOt to far though, there is still a code on the degree to which a wire can angle although im not sure the degree. also starting your grid with a wire pulling your grid back to that starting wall allows you to work away from it with minimal use of clamps, although you will be screwing the grid to your wall mold with pan head screws once you got it all squared up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts