Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to tackle a bedroom suspended ceiling for a client while await some trades to finish up. Whats your trick for cutting wall angle on angled wall intersections for aesthetics. Is it a overlap and angle the bottom piece or? Whats your trick for the 90's in the corner overlap or 45. They are using 2x2 drop down tiles

Attachments

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,469 Posts
The last one I did I cut the angles and used a small piece of aluminum foil tape to keep the miter tight..on the top of course.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I miter the bottom one. I do cut the top one, but only like 22°. It helps to get the corner tight. I also set up a rotary laser. Helps move things along nicely, and keep everything straight.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Forgot one thing. When putting the bottom piece in, pinch the angle a little past it's 90°. When you screw it to the wall make sure it's tight. That way it's got pressure up. It just keeps everything tight, but don't over do it. Like 91° or 92° any more will start pushing the top piece up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My trick for wall mold is screw every 8-10" but not into the studs. Wall mold does not hold weight, and you get a better finish. I just overlap my inside corners on regular mold, but I do miter shadow mold. On outside corners I run one both ends past and cut the hem off and fold over gives a nice sharp corner

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basement window tricks

Any thoughts on boxing around basement windows. I got a small job doing a bedroom and the window opening is 2-3" below ceiling grid level. I use to box them out with 3/4" Plywood dropped down 3.5" and paint it. Then put the track around it. I struggled with the inside of the frame and the finished edges. Since the window had to swing open up into the opening. I either drywalled or put a piece of plywood in there also and painted it flush to the ceiling for clearance.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Just overlap the corners then cut the miter into both with snips...

For a window box out, I've just used 1x to drop from the raised height down to the finished ceiling height (with about 1/4" reveal)

Reactions: tenon0774

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just overlap the corners then cut the miter into both with snips...

For a window box out, I've just used 1x to drop from the raised height down to the finished ceiling height (with about 1/4" reveal)
what do you do inside the frame. Clearance is needed. Can't drop it 3-4 " from the joists like the ceiling is.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Use a piece of the ceiling tile and just glue/pin it up... or sheetrock it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts