Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I've only put it down with commercial glue down carpet. Never with conventional (residential) carpet.
There you go, if it's got
padding, or much pile
it'll look wrong.
Why would you?

And why would you steal
someone else's avatar?

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
in the '70's a lot of carpet stores would make the carpet cut to order...you brought them your measurements walk out a while later with the bunch of small pieces of carpet...1/4 round, yes

Today, no 1/4 round, the guys show up, kick it in and take off

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks for taking the survey

There you go, if it's got
padding, or much pile
it'll look wrong.
Why would you?
I wouldn't, the HO has it down on a water damage/replacement job I am doing. I wanted to be sure my thought of it being wrong was not just personal preference, before I talk her out of it.

And why would you steal
someone else's avatar?
(EDIT, are you addressing the avatar question to me or ibarnes?)

Hunh? Who else is using this avatar? the only other place I have seen it is a lefty blog called Obsidian Wings (who I stole it from, because I have a deep love of small fury animals pushed past the brink and taking matters into their own paws), which is a great blog by the way.

If you are a hack you would use 1/4 round with carpet.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
(EDIT, are you addressing the avatar question to me or ibarnes?)

Hunh? Who else is using this avatar? the only other place I have seen it is a lefty blog called Obsidian Wings (who I stole it from, because I have a deep love of small fury animals pushed past the brink and taking matters into their own paws), which is a great blog by the way.
Lets see - definetly not a lefty

Ron The Plumber
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets see - definetly not a lefty

Ron The Plumber
Pro Plumber

Trade: Plumber

as I said I got the pic from this website...

what is up with this site software and posts/links

they have been using it, as you can see, since 2003, so I just have two things to say.

First, hey Ron sorry, I didn't realize you were already using bad kitty.:oops:

And second, I can't believe you *stole* ObsidianWings Bad Kitty, this is an outrage, an outrage! By the love of all that is holy is nothing sacred in this world anymore!?:bangin:

Can I get an official ruling on Drunk Kitty, good to go here or what?

·
4,617 Posts
Moorewarner, quit spamming posts to get your count up or get banned. This is your only warning.

Quarter round is inappropriate, base shoe is the proper stuff, but not with carpet. Some put the base molding down first then carpet, others put the carpet down then base molding (and sometimes base shoe), but I find it a bit unsightly.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hold the base up 1/2" (for normal padded carpet) and let them tuck it under. Ive held 1/4 " up for some types (or whatever the thickness is). Shoe looks like a F'up on a carpeted floor.
I only use it on hardwood floors, or occasionally when the tile guys do something not prudent.
Although Ive seen concrete floors that dipped so bad that, that shoe was the only thing to make it look halfway decent. (cheap ass builder didnt want to fix it right).

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
1/4 round being used as base shoe is not good at all.

Base shoe over carpet makes no sense at all.

So thats double bad then.:thumbsup:

Does anybody know how to cut shoe molding? :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,774 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts