Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to update my living room TV and wanted to dump the ugly obligatory surge protector strip and get one of the Leviton Decora style receptacles.

I was wondering number one just how much it truly protects my electronics and number two, if it works like a GFCI and I can hook some other outlets downstream and still be protected. It would be a 2 gang box, not something 6 feet away.

From what it sounds like, it would protect some, but not being directly plugged in, not quite as much.

Wondering if the experts would be so kind to direct me. I know I should get something much better, like a whole house one. I'm just trying this one first.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Sect...4A50F0466D76A1188FEEB9BCA86D8AFF5EEB033717D76

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I am getting ready to update my living room TV and wanted to dump the ugly obligatory surge protector strip and get one of the Leviton Decora style receptacles.

I was wondering number one just how much it truly protects my electronics and number two, if it works like a GFCI and I can hook some other outlets downstream and still be protected. It would be a 2 gang box, not something 6 feet away.

From what it sounds like, it would protect some, but not being directly plugged in, not quite as much.

Wondering if the experts would be so kind to direct me. I know I should get something much better, like a whole house one. I'm just trying this one first.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Sect...4A50F0466D76A1188FEEB9BCA86D8AFF5EEB033717D76
Surge protectors are bogus.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So those are no better??
I don't think they are, power surges are so rare it's not worth protecting against...now lightning is another story.

Do you install or recommend any kind of surge protection on your projects?
All of my automation, network and security projects get a UPS sized for minimum 15 minutes with surge protection. All of the power bars I use have basic surge protection...but I don't believe in it.

I've had numerous systems fried by lightning and have pictures to prove it, even with surge protection and proper bonding.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I frequently find that customers and friends have installed surge protecting power strips without an equipment ground in the receptacle. Looking at an ungrounded receptacle, they think to add some protection by adding a 2-to-3-prong adapter, then plugging in a surge protector. Of course, that doesn't work.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I've had leviton surge protectors installed behind 2 flat screens on one of my jobs. The ones I picked up had an alarm that sounded after it had a surge and it had a dial u can turn to shut the alarm off so you could continue to keep the circuit live until it was replaced. It also had load terminals to protect other outlets.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-7280-...90794118&sr=8-2&keywords=leviton+surge+outlet

They can be had for cheaper than the link

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,954 Posts
I don't think they are, power surges are so rare it's not worth protecting against...now lightning is another story.
I had a client a few years ago who had virtually every appliance and electronic device in his house taken out by a POCO surge. Had he (and the POCO) not had insurance that covered the great majority of it, he'd probably be ready to punch you in the nose. :laughing:

Agreed that lightning is the 500 lb gorilla that does what he wants, but if you get a quality whole-house surge suppressor, you're covered by a $20-25,000 warranty. I've sold several to folks who've had a history of device damage, and never seen one them need to make a claim since.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I had a client a few years ago who had virtually every appliance and electronic device in his house taken out by a POCO surge. Had he (and the POCO) not had insurance that covered the great majority of it, he'd probably be ready to punch you in the nose. :laughing:

Agreed that lightning is the 500 lb gorilla that does what he wants, but if you get a quality whole-house surge suppressor, you're covered by a $20-25,000 warranty. I've sold several to folks who've had a history of device damage, and never seen one them need to make a claim since.
Ontario hydro accidentally sent 600V to a few houses many years ago.

To this date I've had one non-lightening power problem, and it was when a client's neighbor turned on his milking machine for his dairy farm it caused a voltage sag which would reset the clock on his VCR.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Inner10 said:
Ontario hydro accidentally sent 600V to a few houses many years ago. To this date I've had one non-lightening power problem, and it was when a client's neighbor turned on his milking machine for his dairy farm it caused a voltage sag which would reset the clock on his VCR.
The lighting is the main cause around here for the power cuts. Out lights grow bright then we hear a massive bang and the whole area is out. Power comes back on and lights a bright for a second then they carm back down. I'm not sure if its the before surge or after surge that causes the damage though.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Check the warranty on the suppressor, too. I came across one via PECO's website (the main power company in Philly) that claimed lifetime warranty/fair market value replacement due to any surge damage when used properly on their network. Not sure how universal that kind of warranty would be, but worth noting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts