Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No composite guys chiming in,

Robert?

I finally got my FHB mag and saw your article. I believe you use these post. My concerns are relying on the blocking and ....it breaking with the grain. AND if any inspectors are hassling about the strength of the connection.

I may start doing all of my posts this way and use a Treated Gluelam as my blocking. Some peace of mind.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Most of our posts are custom made for us or the entire rail system it's fabricated by our welder. Everything is different with steel, you'll be surprised how sturdy a post is when bolted to the framework.

Another plus is that our inspectors have a brain and look at the entire rail assembly not just 1 part.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Has anyone using these: http://timbertech.com/files/files/Secure-Mount Post Final Instructions.pdf on a regular basis had an issue with the framing details and inspections?

I have no doubt the post can withstand the lateral loads but since its the wood blocking doing the resisting I wonder if there are any specs "other" than the manufacturers that need to be met.
Thats a pretty standard top plate attachment. Fortes calls it out the same Lay out. Also seem in a couple of sets of plans from other archi's. I use 5" sds and 4x4 blocking off of a dbl ledger... beastly stiff. I have limited space under the deck to mess around that style. enough already with the with the rail post. There making this chit so expensive so detailed so time consuming. When's the last time you guys raised your prices?

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been eating some of the spring increases as old estimate trickle in. Im afraid of losing the work. I could use a labor increase as well but most of the leads sit for months before anyone pulls the trigger. Its so spotty.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have been eating some of the spring increases as old estimate trickle in. Im afraid of losing the work. I could use a labor increase as well but most of the leads sit for months before anyone pulls the trigger. Its so spotty.
I understand. They're calling you back because you made an impression. There is no secret to it. It all boils down to number. More appointments More estimate More sales. Basics "A"llways "B"e "C"losing of any business.It helps to set yourself apart from the other Moe's out there. That's is mucho importante. Estimate and contract are locked for 30/days only. Check you estimate form your suppliers others. I get 1/2 of my business form 6 - 12 month old leads. Keep in mind I'm selling luxury on a roof top. It takes them a while to get there head around the concept. The they see one of our trucks on there block or driving by and bam we gotta another sale. Unless you get a signed contract and full deposit the price can and will vary. I had some one last year who dicked around for about 8/months. I sent off the contract the numbers where up about 10% accros the boards. He diked around another 3-4 months up again another 3%. I actually raised them because he was just pia. He said why are the numbers going up. I said you didn't read the contract. Drag it out again and they'll go up again. When I get a full deposit I send my supplier(s) the cut list to and pay for it to get if off my plate because we have a lot of jobs that take 2-4 months to get to with permits and zoning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts