Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved a house with about a 5 ton real rock fireplace to a new location and are unsure of the required wall support underneath to keep it from coming thru the ceiling of the basement. Will 2x4 walls support that weight..... a closet was made under the fireplace that has the cement outside wall on one side, the closet door side, the back wall - regular 2x4 wall and the 3 1/2 foot short wall opposite the cement wall that has doubled up 2x6's. What should be there to support that weight, can it safely sit on 2x4 walls? Help. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
You do not sound much like a Contractor or construction pro.

The problem is not so much with the 2x4 walls as to what they are setting on. Also what is spanning the walls holding the fireplace up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
House moved by professional house movers. Concrete floor in basement thickened under fireplace area to support the weight. Professional construction/remodeller put in the 2x4 walls, I just don't think they are enough for the weight above .... it is holding it now..... but? No I don't have a lot of experience, but my third house. Yes, I guess I need to get an engineer to determine if it is supported as it should be. It is sitting on 2x4's that span the short distance. I was just hoping to save on engineer expense, by seeing if you all agreed with what has been done. I guess it is just too hard of a question without seeing it. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
2X4 will take a ton axial load or more. On the top, the question is how well the load gets spread across the wall / how the chimney is supported.

I can't say anything about the footer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts