Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping for some ideas on a problem that I am facing . . .
I am working on a two story home that has a second story balcony in one corner of the home. Beneath the balcony is a concrete patio that the builder provided. The balcony has ledger boards against the house and joist that terminate on a load carrying beam. There is an existing post that supports the beam (the bottom post also supports an upper post that carries the load from the corner of the roof). The bottom post was set onto the concrete patio via a post base with no footing. I would like to reset the post onto a footing. However, I am unsure as to how I would support the beam while we construct the new footing.

I have considered screw jacks, but this seems problematic due to their short articulation. I also have no real access to get heavy machine into the yard.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Is this new construction? If so their should be a sono tube concrete pier underneath the patio.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I just did a similar job and used screw jacks. The deck/roof had to be lifted nearly 8" and was done just a little bit over 2 weeks. That was really rushing things.
Jacks may sink but they don't compress. Heavy equipment is usually hydraulic and can bleed down over time. Also you don't want to move the structure all at once, all in one day. You may also want to check the near wall, it may have to come up some as well.
Screw jacks and good cribbage will work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am hoping for some ideas on a problem that I am facing . . .
I am working on a two story home that has a second story balcony in one corner of the home. Beneath the balcony is a concrete patio that the builder provided. The balcony has ledger boards against the house and joist that terminate on a load carrying beam. There is an existing post that supports the beam (the bottom post also supports an upper post that carries the load from the corner of the roof). The bottom post was set onto the concrete patio via a post base with no footing. I would like to reset the post onto a footing. However, I am unsure as to how I would support the beam while we construct the new footing.

I have considered screw jacks, but this seems problematic due to their short articulation. I also have no real access to get heavy machine into the yard.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Teetr on the screw jacks and cribbing method,it is a sound way to go, place a beam(6x8x What ever length needed or equivelent)diagonally beneath the header over the post that needs the the new footing, keep in mind you will only need to come up about 1/4-1/2 ``just to take the load off the post.It may be a good idea to diaginally brace the post to stay plumb at that point,and keep braces clear of where the digging will take place, when thats done dig a good deep footing for what ever code calls for in your area.
Big jax

1 - 4 of 4 Posts