Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever go to a supply house you don't have a account with and get rap3d.

Was working on a job - closer supply house was 10 minutes . No account with them - price was just shy of 2X the regular cost. I paid the piper, as a round trip to my other spot would have been 1 1/2hr - 2 hr round trip

I can see a 25% cost over the regular counter price. But not 90% cost increase....

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Without an account your usually a one shot deal, may as well make it while they can...and do

How about the places that won't sell to you unless your an established account...they don't take cash or credit card

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is 1 place I use, don't have a account at all of them, but when I'm working that part of town, I often go there with a laundry list. Prices are not hiked up, he does tell me to setup a account whenever I get a chance, but I basically just get counter price..and then some.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Without an account your usually a one shot deal, may as well make it while they can...and do

How about the places that won't sell to you unless your an established account...they don't take cash or credit card
Many of my suppliers are like that, no account no sale.

I've got raped on a few counter sales, but i don't blame them, without proof that I'm a real business I expect to get nailed.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
its like that here with ductwork suppliers.. its a total p.it.a we have to fight with them to buy metal vent covers for venting range hoods.. we buy the stainless steel ones .. only other option is vinyl but that **** can melt

·
Contractor
7,792 Posts
A little conversation can go a long way, when faced with this situation I explain...I have an account with ABC building supply, and an account with xyz supply, deal regularly with big concrete ready mix company....give them a call, and hook me up with the contractor price.

It works quite often, when it does not...well, that's just how it goes.

·
Registered
Custom
13,964 Posts
After a conversation and establishing a report... "Jim, I'll tell you what... if you can match what I normally get from XYZ company when I am in town, then I found a new supply house in this neighborhood. Works for both of us... you get a new cash customer who doesn't make you wait for the money, I don't have to worry about buying stuff in advance from Dave over at XYZ company before coming into town. A win-win".... (big smile)...

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have ''Cash Accounts'' With every supply house in my working areas. Very easy to set up and only take a few minutes of your time. And you have to know and act like you know what you want!!!!! Do not ask dumb diy'r type questions. Or you will get the higher price, for sure.

But we've had this conversation before. Some of those counter guys can be real A-holes.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Not that its a huge issue but i bet a lot of you that just said "paying cash" meant paying with a credit/debit card. So there are fees involved. 99% of their accounts pay their monthly bill with a check.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Accounts are a way for a supplier to recognize real contractors and create some loyalty.

This also eliminates the DIYers that take up time and must pay full boat prices with no discount.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
concretemasonry said:
Accounts are a way for a supplier to recognize real contractors and create some loyalty. This also eliminates the DIYers that take up time and must pay full boat prices with no discount.
Very true, concrete prices without an account in Toronto are almost double what we pay, plus a few other charges, like maximum 60 mins for unloading, $2 min after that

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Chris -

Very true about ready-mix costs. A good supplier does everything possible to avoid DIYers and pricing is one way, except I have seen some that only deliver to recognized contractors. In particular is the unloading time since a good contractor is pretty good and will alert the dispatcher about potential problems. - It is one way to guarantee timely deliveries to other contractors.

A good friend with about 60-70 ready-mix trucks that was also in the aggregate business referred to ready-mix as the riskiest, least profitable way to sell aggregate. Cement usually costs less than the delivery time compared to the aggregate cost. - They ultimately sold or swapped their ready-mix trucks and plants to competitors for aggregate plants/reserves. Their aggregate was sold from the pit or brought in by barge and they welcomed contractors or competitors to pick up aggregate and got out of the trucking business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.