Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're giving a new supplier in the area a shot. They've been in the area for 3 years. We used them 3 years ago, but they messed all sorts of deliveries up. So I fired them.

At the end of last year they came crawling back saying "We re-organized.", "Those people who messed up have been replaced.", and the best one "Our price is $3 cheaper per square than our competitors."

As it turns out, you get what you pay for. This is the 3rd order we've given them in a week. The first two orders went ok. Today was hell.

We ordered Timberline Heatherblend. We got our heatherblend but from 2 factories. Each factory's color is different. It might as well be a different shingle. They can't be mixed. I finally got that mess up fixed after an hour worth of phone calls.

I forgot to order the modified bitumen for a pocket area, so I called them and said I had a driver on his way, and we would need brown granulated modified. The driver didn't know what he was picking up and he ended up getting black because that's what they gave him. The roofers didn't know the material needed to match so they installed it. Ergh! We had to go to a different supplier to get the brown to cover over the black.

We were going to install our timbertex ridge shingles and they went the totally wrong color! We got mission brown instead of heatherblend.

Long story short, they are fired... this time for good. I tell my customers "You get what you pay for." Well it's true. I got crappy service and alot of mistakes.

JEH Eagle supply: No more orders from us.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, I know that what happened sucks but I think that we all do it.
If a supplier comes back grovelling, shows that they have made efforts to correct past problems and are giving you better prices to get you back, I think that we all bite. In my experience their improvements run about 50/50. In this instance you got the last 50, sorry. You are also right about it being their last chance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That sucks, happens to me sometimes. They forget to place the order, or it gets sent to another job site, nice.
I hate that when it happens, your waiting around with a thumb up your butt, and they just say " well its on its way, should be there by noon"

I find some suppliers have complete disregarde for the installers, unless your into them for 100 grand then they move there ass to get to them.

my 2 cents

bernie

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I hate when they are late and you have ten guys standing around looking for something to do. MY boss once sent the supplier a bill for their time. Ofcoarse it never got paid... This is why I now order all my jobs to be delivered a day early. But ordering a day early doesn't help the material be the right color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts