Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently taken over my family company in management. I have the management part okay. I am in need of help with hiring a team of skilled workers. I have used craiglist and Facebook and other avenues plus word off mouth.

I do not know where to find good employees. I also would be interested in people who are willing to train our employees. If you have any ideas I would love help.

Thank You

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Good luck to you in your new position. What happened to the crew or crews of installers that previously worked for the family business? Are you a multiple truck operation? Hard to give any advice not knowing a little about the size of the business and why you need to start from scratch with installers with an established family business. Why dont you train your employees? I couldnt imagine running my business without knowing every aspect of the installation part. Im sure you could find guys off of craig and gaybook but get ready for the hiring and firing process for many many months. Again good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

We could be a multiple truck. However, when my dad left and my brother took over we lost a lot of our crew and he hires just about anyone. I am now in the busy season and trying to just hire one great supervisor to get jobs done. I will worry about the team I put together this fall when we slow down.

I am offering internships through local schools. Is it better to just stop accepting work and not close but say we are restructuring and until then not accepting new jobs? That way I do not need to hire immediately. I can stop our ads and I have one guy who can do the small stuff.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
If you have the work coming in why not get out there yourselves and install for the summer and worry about being a big business with supervisors and such when you slow down. My brother and i along with a helper are able to do 12-15 jobs a week No reason to close if the leads are there Get out there and get your hands dirty and make some money. Closing should not be an option. You should really post an intro if you already haven't btw

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is his sister that is running the company, my brother is ill and cannot get out there too much. I wish he could. Then I would just have him do the jobs.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Have you tried a temp service hire agency.
They will have many people with targeted backgrounds
And know that they are hired as a temp.
You pay them through the agency and if they work out
You put them on full time, on your books.
Win- Win!

If they don't work out, call the agency and they tell them to go home and send another.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Employemt and training. Here, that is what the state calls it I am sure you have some sort of agency in your area as well. They have people looking for work, verifiable real employment not people saying the've been at it forever and know everything.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts