Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody using anything like these?

I could have used a set a couple weeks ago. Managed to destroy a sheet metal one by overloading it. Who would have though you couldn't put (2) very wet PT 6'x6'x(16'-24') on a set of sawhorses. I'm sure these would easily hold that.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Dustincoc said:
Anybody using anything like these?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_xhHxrN5U">YouTube Link</a>

I could have used a set a couple weeks ago. Managed to destroy a sheet metal one by overloading it. Who would have though you couldn't put (2) very wet PT 6'x6'x(16'-24') on a set of sawhorses. I'm sure these would easily hold that.
In the morning I will tak a pic of my steel ones I welded up. The legs are welded and a 2x4 or 6 gets tacked in between the legs . So I can make the horses any with. Dude tools also has a heavy set of horses.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a set I made. they are a good intro to timberframing, in fact that's usually the first thing you build when you are learning (they are the only timberframing I've done...)

They don't leave the shop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for sharing, the only thing I don't get is why he left the dowels protruding wouldn't they look better with the dowels cut flush? Or is it so they can be dismantled?

·
Registered
818 Posts
They gotta be heavy to handle moving and rolling the huge 8x8+ hardwood beams. They probably left the dowels protruding for the look...I dunno.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those look heavy enough to actually tie a horse off to!
If you watch to the end of the video, he mounts them on wheels.

There is also another video of him later shortening the legs.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The TS-27 only has a weight capacity of 1000Lbs. At times I've seen 50+ sheets of 5/8" fire rated moisture resistand drywall on a set of horses. Thats ~3696Lbs for 50 sheets. They sat there for better than a mont too. Only store bought thing I'd trust with that kind of weight is solid steel and they are only rated at something like 1200Lbs(from wat I'm finding now, I recall te ones we ad for that project were rated at 2000Lbs ea.). I'd guestimate that the timberframed ones would hold in excess of 3000Lbs ea., given proper construction and the surface there sitting on can support that kind of point load.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I need to have actual load testing done on my Tri-horses, but they hold quiet a lot. The four legged version is even stouter for the heaviest loads.

Here are some photos of them:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dustincoc said:
The TS-27 only has a weight capacity of 1000Lbs. At times I've seen 50+ sheets of 5/8" fire rated moisture resistand drywall on a set of horses. Thats ~3696Lbs for 50 sheets. They sat there for better than a mont too. Only store bought thing I'd trust with that kind of weight is solid steel and they are only rated at something like 1200Lbs(from wat I'm finding now, I recall te ones we ad for that project were rated at 2000Lbs ea.). I'd guestimate that the timberframed ones would hold in excess of 3000Lbs ea., given proper construction and the surface there sitting on can support that kind of point load.
'Nuff said!

Attachments

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
'Nuff said!
I can't say thats not impressive.

The trojan website lists them as having a weight capacity of 1000Lbs. That is the same weight capacity as the sawhorse I had collapse. Without having seen a trojan in person, all I have to go by is the manufacturers specs.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What brand horses collapsed?
Not sure what brand. nThey were this style:

Every one of those I've ever seen is built pretty much the same and I don't see any of the differences changing the capacity. We had (2) 6x6x?16' PT posts sitting on them and I was on the end of one catching the cutoff so it didn't split out as it was cut with the beam saw. The sawhorse folded right over and te legs on one end ripped through the end of the top. It would have went all the way over had I not been already holding one of the posts and been able to hold it from going all the way over.

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
Once you go Trojan, you never go back. I like the strength, but also the ability to make them as wide as you want. Throw some 8-10 foot 2x on them and they will allow you to dry a ton of trim, or set up a huge work table area. Nothing like them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts