Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a client who's kid spilled some super glue on their brand new laminate floor. (Just installed on Monday) Any chance to get rid of this without having to yank the offending pieces? They already tried a razor blade and acetone (nail polish remover).

I'm going over tomorrow to take a look. These are good clients and I'd love to wow them w/ an easy fix. They are willing to pay for the replacement if need be, obviously.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,459 Posts
Acetone should remove it. Use full strength Acetone, not nail polish remover.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,459 Posts
No, go to the hardware store and get a pint of Acetone, about $5-8.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
You can get a super glue removing gel from model shops. I used to glue my tires on my RC track cars and to remove the glue you would use this gel that would soften the super glue but not attack the rim or tire. It did work very well and i used to use it to remove the glue from my fingers.

Let me go see if i still have some about.

(UPDATE)

I dont have any but a quick search found something very similer

http://www.supergluecorp.com/bondini/bondini%C2%AE-brush-remover-gel

·
Registered
234 Posts
I spilled some super glue on a laminated counter top and it ruined it. The glue interacted with the laminate and left big, ugly dull bumps and gouges. Acetone only made it worse.
Hope you have better luck than I did. I was trying to save a few pennies by fixing a broken rosette on a mirror instead of taking the time to go buy another one.
This is in my bathroom and I have to look at it everytime I wash my face.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would be suprised if you could remove it. I have seen cyanoacylate/superglue used to strengthen harden and waterproof wood spearguns. If what was spilled was the normal low viscosity stuff I think it would soak in and you would never get it out.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
you could try this stuff made for removing super glue. Up here in Canada its distributed by Lee Valley Tools, but I'm sure that its available in the states- seeing as how its made there :)
I've cut and pasted their description of this product.

Super Solvent

Cyanoacrylates, such as Hot Stuff, require a special solvent for effective clean-up. With normal safety precautions, Super Solvent can be used to clean hands or to remove glue spots from clothes or working surfaces.
Do not use on lacquer, butyrate, or nitrate-based finishes.

Made in USA.

Super Solvent, 2 fl oz
56Z95.01 $7.20

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get a super glue removing gel from model shops. I used to glue my tires on my RC track cars and to remove the glue you would use this gel that would soften the super glue but not attack the rim or tire. It did work very well and i used to use it to remove the glue from my fingers.

Let me go see if i still have some about.

(UPDATE)

I dont have any but a quick search found something very similer

http://www.supergluecorp.com/bondini/bondini®-brush-remover-gel

Hey BC,

Thanks a lot!! I took your advice and went to the local hobby shop and picked up the de-bonding agent. They keep it in stock and it cost about $3.50. I followed the directions and scraped off what I could and put some directly on the worst spot and let it sit for about a minute. When I wiped it up, you could feel the stickiness under the rag. It took two applications to totally remove the glue, but it did not affect the floor as far as I could tell.

I guess time will tell, but I think this took care of it. Great tip for all those out there who have ever had problems like this. I guess the main ingredient is an inert nitroglycerin or something and is pretty universal in these type solvents. It did not stink and was finished in less than 5 minutes. I had the acetone ready, but did not need to use it.

Thanks again,

Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts