Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Finish carpentry contrctr
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a SDF250 w/ the triton v-8 ? I have one with the diesel, the highway mpg is great (500mi) but city mpg is bad (300mi) majority of my travel is city. With diesel pricing so high (2.15 gallon) I was thinking of switching to the triton. But I can't find any mpg articles or info.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I feel for you - I'm driving the 6.0 L SD diesel myself. WTF is driving the diesel prices above that of high test?
On a lighter note, I've been lookin' at the Banks six-gun tuner kits. 135+ HP boost! Burn-outs like you can't imagine from a diesel :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like cars and trucks but you still have to go a ways to beat the old 68-72 megabeasts in a straight line. If you want to corner, IMHO Porsche is the most predictable, Ferrari is the most squirrerly but faster at top end.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
My 1988 Sports-Family-Truckster kicked ass! They sold them only for a short time using the catchy advertising phrase - "If you think you hate it now, wait till you drive it!"

You gotta love those headlights!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Buddy has the F-250 Excursion 4x4 with the triton 5.8 and best mpg hwy is 11.2 and the truck cant get out of it's own way.

same with other comany I used to work for, F-250 crew cab 4x4 with 5.8, typically high 10 to 11mpg hwy and whenever I had a trialer on the back, I fond jumping out and pushing it would help me get moving quicker. Small motors in big trucks just dont go hand in hand.

Today was the first time in my life I ever had to pay over $2/gal for fuel and as luck would have it, both my tanks in the truck were sucking fumes and jumped in wifes car tonight to go estimate and what do ya know, fuel light on and needle below the red mark :eek: $80 in one day sucked azz!!! especially since all I'm getting with the truck is 10.2mpg :(

Here I live in the Midwest where we grow corn like crazy, have ethanol factories being built all around us and gas prices steadily rising. I thought Ethanol was supposed to be cheaper??!!! :eek: Now with summer time close, prices will go nothing but higher from here on out with all the trucks on the hwy-why do ya think diesel is so pricey, freight has to be hauled to keep the world turning, so pass it onto the OTR companies since it's not an option-they need fuel. $500 to fill an average truck that gets 5-6mpg at best depending on trailer/load being hauled....imagine what the freight companies are dealing with right now!!

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IHI said:
Buddy has the F-250 Excursion 4x4 with the triton 5.8 and best mpg hwy is 11.2 and the truck cant get out of it's own way.

same with other comany I used to work for, F-250 crew cab 4x4 with 5.8, typically high 10 to 11mpg hwy and whenever I had a trialer on the back, I fond jumping out and pushing it would help me get moving quicker. Small motors in big trucks just dont go hand in hand.

Today was the first time in my life I ever had to pay over $2/gal for fuel and as luck would have it, both my tanks in the truck were sucking fumes and jumped in wifes car tonight to go estimate and what do ya know, fuel light on and needle below the red mark :eek: $80 in one day sucked azz!!! especially since all I'm getting with the truck is 10.2mpg :(

Here I live in the Midwest where we grow corn like crazy, have ethanol factories being built all around us and gas prices steadily rising. I thought Ethanol was supposed to be cheaper??!!! :eek: Now with summer time close, prices will go nothing but higher from here on out with all the trucks on the hwy-why do ya think diesel is so pricey, freight has to be hauled to keep the world turning, so pass it onto the OTR companies since it's not an option-they need fuel. $500 to fill an average truck that gets 5-6mpg at best depending on trailer/load being hauled....imagine what the freight companies are dealing with right now!!

Thanks for the info. Diesel prices have been $2.15 to $2.30 here (NE OH) for almost 6 months, for me its $75.00 every week or 400mi. In combination w/ $75.00 oil changes every 5,000mi I was considering gas, but we want to run a trailer soon. If that motor is such a dog I'll probably stick w/ the diesel again. I had a 95 F350 that was "chipped" and the exhaust was modified and it was fun to pull stuff with!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
If your gonna start trailering soon, I would not even consider the 5.8. If you wanted to stick with gas, the V-10 has gotten great reviews from all the owners once they fixed the spark plug shucking issue, power is readily available and they've been realible well over 100K so they're proven in that aspect. Down side is miserable fuel mileage, again 10-11mpg so it's a wash between that and the small motor, only difference is you'll have the power of the diesel in a gas package AND cheaper services since you dont need 4 gallons of oil :eek: ;) fuel/water seperator filter. They're resale pricing is so-so which makes it nice when shopping for a used truck since many homies thought a big motor would be cool until they had to fill it contantly and never used the truck for it's intended use, but for us contractors, guess that goes along with it, knowing you can tow/haul anything you want at will.

I've only got 10mpg for the past 5yrs so if I go big block or V-10 dont think I'd give it a second thought about fuel mileage, even though I'd love a diesel, dont know if I'd really recoup the intial cost over the life of the truck in my possesion since they usually only get 3-4mpg more than typical gas motors when towing, unloaded they're better while the gas motors seem never to vary at all loaded/unloaded.

Been tossing this issue around myself for the past yr, now if I could keep my wife from wrecking cars annually :evil: someday I maybe able to get myself a new rig :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
IHI said:
I'd love a diesel [but] they usually only get 3-4mpg more than typical gas motors when towing, unloaded they're better while the gas motors seem never to vary at all loaded/unloaded.
Don't you believe it when it comes to diesel economy. I had a 3/4 ton '99 Suburban LT with a 7.3 L (I like the sound of '454' much better), Borla cat-back and after-market air cleaner - 9 mpg...no matter what. Sold it and bought a 3/4 ton , '03 Ford p/u with a 6.0 L - 10 mpg every time I check. The Chevy ride was like the 'mag-lev'. The Ford's more like a freight train.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 6.8 V10 is going to be 1-2 mpg worse on than the 6.0. Don't even waste your time on the 5.4, it just wasn't meant for towing in a 6000lbs+ truck. Its great in an f150.

my 04 F250 ex cab 4x4 6.0 actually got decent milage, and when I had the predator programmer in it, I ran 14 sec quarter miles.

my 05 F350 dually 6.0 4x4 crewcab is really rough on the mpg right now, but I'm hoping cause its not broke in yet...

for lots of info on diesel trucks, check out oilburners.net

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
PipeGuy said:
The Chevy ride was like the 'mag-lev'. The Ford's more like a freight train.
I'm lucky since I drag race I'm buddies with guys that have all types of haulers and have ridden beeotch in a few. The chebies have the ride hands down, BUT they have smaller overall cab space/feel. I know they try to tout themselves as having the largest cubic inch cab space, but sit in a crew cab Ford then jump in a crew cab cheby and you quickly notice the difference, kinda clostraphobic in the chevy cabs. I love the Dodge front seating area for space over all of them as far as openness and looks, but then you have to deal with the fact it's a Dodge and they're constant tranny/rearend problems-nice warranty, but it's a warranty that must be utilized quite a bit when you use the dodge truck....as a truck.

I've always considered with the newer trucks, Ford kinda stuck to building trucks, while Chevy has more of an el camino of sorts, plus I never like the turning radius of the newer chevies, gotta have 6 lanes for a u turn!! I grew up a Chevy guy and bought the ford I have now yrs back and will try my luck again with Ford since this truck has been faithful since the day I bought it. Seemed with the chevies I owned I was constantly fixing this or that on the weekends. Friend bought a new 2500HD 6.0 last year and is one trip away from lemon law, for a new truck it's been in the shop more than in his driveway it seems like. It does tow nicely though with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
IHI said:
I love the Dodge front seating... but then you have to deal with the fact it's a Dodge and they're constant tranny/rearend problems
My neighbor has a +/- '94 Dodge diesel...I think. Seems like at least 1 week a month there's an old F-150 'loaner' in his driveway that his mechanic provides. :eek:

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PipeGuy said:
What brand?

At the time it was superchips. But for your 6.0 get the programmer from superchips. That way you can switch back to factory settings b4 you take the truck in for service work (this will protect your warranty) If you are into the pwrstroke you should join the PSR (powerstrokeregistry.com) I've been a member since they started it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
timntools said:
Bout the only way now to get away with it is plug in modules. TSperformance makes a great one and so does Quadzilla, and Edge performance.
I went and looked at the Edge module today. $700 installed. What'ya think of that price?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
That's just the Edge though - you also need about 800-1000 in exhaust upgrade to 4". If that's included - jump on it right away :)
I've got a '03 chevy 3/4 ton hd crew cab 6.6 diesel with the allison 3.73 gear ratio - getting around 18-19mpg gotten over 20 a couple times on a few longer trips. Quite a few of my friends have dodges and fords - none of them say they'll drive with me anymore because they'll end up buying one. Put about 60k miles on it in under 3 years and never had any troubles with it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You're given me the trade-in itch Hatchet. I don't know, I might slide by the Chevy dealer this weekend ;)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
haha.. I don't want to sway anyone - just stating my experiences. Honestly - I think Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc.. make good vehicles. They haven't been around as long as they have because they make crap. But like anything else where there's more than one eventually someone gets a bad one.
I would probably wait until the '06 is out - the new allison they are putting in there is pretty sweet. Hmm - tried attaching a pdf on it but it's too big. Anyway - can probably see documentation at their website.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Don't quote me as I really don't watch gas prices. I fill it up with brand name fuel and go.
Haven't diesel prices been historically lower then gas? Why is it that when ever diesel spikes in price all the diesel guys start to whine and immediately think of switching to gas.:cry:
I mean if there were facts pointing to a LONG term rise in diesel fuel prices I can see the logic. Or if you are one to switch vehicles every two years, you would not have a long term commitment.
I am not big (or rich) enough to swap trucks that often. I wish I had a new F350 V10 to tow the race car as well. It just seems to make no sense to change vehicles in concert with the fuel market which is so volatile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts