Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
Joined
·
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a call this morning from a local who had a Sunroom installed. The guy who did it seemed to do a decent job. The only oversite was the exterior door that is now an "interior" door...the threshold presents a pretty good trip hazzard and over thanksgiving he had three people trip in it, including one running child who took a good fall. It wants it fixed...

I asked what the orginal builder had said. The customers reply was the guy said the problem is that the door is an exterior door and pretty much didn't have any ideas or want to get involved. I was kind of thinking along he same lines.:blink:

We talked about a few ideas off the cuff from just pulling out the threashold and installing larger door sweeps... Pulling the theshold and lowering the jambs, all the way up to installing an interior french door...

I am not really sure which way I want to go on this one, or if I really want to tackle such a project. My first thought was cut the jambs and install a lower profile threshold...lower the doors to it... but there is still going to be a decent lip down to the tile floor.

Right now, what I am thinking is, pull the old threashold, make a new one from oak or the sort with a much smaller lip, where the weather proof seal is, install that one and the trip hazzard is cut in half...

If someone is local and had a better idea, I not going to sit here, ask to steal your idea and use it to make money. I would be willing to refer the job to you.




 

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,706 Posts
The door bottoms are probably already
set up for sweeps, just get a flat aluminum
sill to match what's there, or you could
mill one out of oak.
 

·
Finish Carpenter
Joined
·
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best...and most profitable. Talking to the owner I found out they had some extra flooring left over, it was small pieces, but enough to flush it out all the way to the tile. So I removed the sill with my mini-saw-z-all, pulled out the plywood the orginal installer had the door sitting on, cut the jambs about 1 1/2" and installed the floor. Taking the last row, putting a rabbit on it to float over the tile and chamfering the edge. Installed that. Dropped the door jamb/doors down. The door now sit 1/4" above the finished floor and the door sweeps sit nicly against the new flooring to provide a seal. B/C the tile is lower then the wood, the sweeps don't rub when you open to door and make that annoying squealing noise. :) I installed 3 1/2" Trim in place of the 2 1/4" to cover up where I lowered the door and all it is well.

I charged $675 for the job. The only things I bought was the sweeps at $5 a pair, brown caulk (the tile floor goes up and down, two tubes of Construction adhesive to the bed the flooring in (no face nails in the final row), and six sticks of trim at $1.40 a stick and it was local, the people were great and loved the work.

Took a few chunks of flooring home, ran it over the table saw for a few passes to make the rabbit and the router table was already set up with a chamfer bit, so I used that to put on the chamfer. Coated it with Aerosol Gloss Poly left over from another job. Away I went for the install. One day in and out.





 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top