Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I have it this time, I bought a house and the sump pump now cycles every 30-45 seconds. Whoa.

I decided yesterday to pull the existing pumps (which look old as the hills) and replaced them with Liberty 237 pumps. I doubled up as they did, and replaced the check valves as well. I *currently* have one about 2" higher than the other more in a 'backup' style of system. Water pours into the crock like crazy...and unfortunately it's only a standard size crock (I'm not there and forgot to measure it, maybe 18" diameter?). The liberty 237 is cycling every 30 seconds, then runs for 10 seconds. That's obviously crazy town in my book (it's been a wet year, but it's not THAT wet).

My question is two-fold. I have looked at the Liberty Pumps 5050, which is a 'duplex' control. I don't know if I can still use the Liberty 237 in conjunction with that control or not? And if so, I believe they use their own 'switch' which appears you can allow it to have more depth range to allow the pump to run longer and cycle less?

Anyone use a setup like this with any luck? I clearly want as much protection as I can as it's a semi-finished basement. Any other thoughts on getting the pumps to not short-cycle so badly?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Below the water table. In the short term I’d do a battery backup system and install a whole house automatic generator like the ones from Honeywell or generac. Then an alarm that’s connected to WiFi. That should cover you. In the long term I’d install a larger crock to cut down on short cycling. Submersible sump pumps only last about 2-3 years. Probably less if they run that often.

·
Registered
12,446 Posts
Is it rain-related, or do you have it all the time? Does it ever cease during dry spells?

I had a customer that was cycling the same water. Pump it up, and the same water would run back down and in, basically. There was a little bit of a grading issue on that house.

Do you have a reasonable hill to work with, or are you on nearly flat ground?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Running over 2000 times a day seems pretty bad.

Does the piping allow any water to drain back in after pump out? An issue with the check valve?

Definitely want a larger basin.

The 5050 control provides even pump wear but then in some ways you don't have a back up. It definitely will give you much more pumping range- up to 36" between on and off cycles.

·
PCI
General Contracting
731 Posts
I have a Little Giant that lasts approximately 9-10 yrs going off every 5min and pumping 7 gallons a crack.

Once it dies I have another Little Giant sitting on top of it to pump out the water into a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled in it to let the water down the drain.

When I see it's wet or don't hear/feel the failed pump running I know it's time to swap out the internal float switch.

I also have a city water powered back up sump pump.

·
Registered
12,025 Posts
Below the water table. In the short term I’d do a battery backup system and install a whole house automatic generator like the ones from Honeywell or generac. Then an alarm that’s connected to WiFi. That should cover you. In the long term I’d install a larger crock to cut down on short cycling. Submersible sump pumps only last about 2-3 years. Probably less if they run that often.
A Zoeller pump will last about 10 years with a 5 min cycle

many of my customers have them after switching from other brands
a battery backup pump does not last long at all, as of last week 45min cycling 7 min

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm not sure why there's so much water coming in, must be a high water table in the area. I've toyed with the thought of just putting in a pond pump with a flow rate approximately the same as the water coming in to just run all the time (connected to some form of a float switch to prevent it from ever running dry?)...my local plumbing supply house has recommended the Pro Series PS-C33 sump/backup unit as a main pump though, and as someone mentioned getting the wifi module to at least be notified when the secondary pump kicks in. They said that pump will allow me to place the float higher in the crock and set it to run an extra 5 seconds to clear the water lower in the crock. While not a 'cheap' option, it's not ungodly expensive either...anyone use one of them ever? It has a main pump, a battery backup, and a control device...

I should mention that yes, I do have a whole house 16kw generator for power outages...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Same thing happened to friends that bought a house. Ended up being old field tile in the yard that came directly to the house. Just a thought.
Any time it rained they needed a utility pump dropped in the crock to keep up with all the water. After the field tile was removed, everything was fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.