Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:
Not sure if this is a plumbing or a landscaping question, but I'll start here. Sump pump output port is at the top of a slope. The water runs down the slope, into the french drain, and back into the sump pump. Sump pump runs constantly when it rains. The water causes a runoff trench in the homeowners landscaping which he'd like to correct. We'd like to trench out from the house and redirect the water into the yard. I'm hesitatnt to connect some PVC piping to the sump pump outlet for feat that any clogs in the pipe could cause a sump pump backup. We were also thinking about placing a small catch basin below the sump pump outlet and redirecting the water from there. Are we overengineering this design? Should we just attach the PVC and be done with it?
Thanks.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,928 Posts
Why would the pipe clog? You're not pumping solids through it, are you? All else being equal, I'd think pump failure would be more likely over time than a clog.

You could always just put a couple of cleanouts in that could be left open in an emergency.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it will drain onto the lawn I'm worried that critter will get up there, some muclh, etc. that would clog it. I don't want to solve a small problem and then cause a flooded basement.
Thanks.

·
Contractor
7,405 Posts
I would run a 4" drain pipe.

But instead of "tying it in" to the sump line, I would leave an air gap, so that if the drain line clogged the water would simply run out on the surface.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry. I'm only familiar with air gaps installed in dishwasher drain lines. If you mean mean an actual 'air gap', then I think we're back to the catch basin idea. Small basin to catch the water from the sump pump, which is then redirected to the lawn. Worse that can happen is the catch basin and/or 4" line clog up and the sump pump spills out where it is today.

·
Contractor
7,405 Posts
Well I can't see your actual circumstance but let's say for instance:

You have a sump line 1-1/2" that exits the foundation wall and turns 90 degree down, put your 4" drain pipe with a 90 degree turned up below the pump outlet and direct the the flow of the smaller pipe into it.

This would be less likely to clog with debris than would a basin with a grate.

Worse that can happen is the catch basin and/or 4" line clog up and the sump pump spills out where it is today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts