Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing a workshop class for kids at the shop this summer. We have a great set up for this (safe and clean) and think it would go off well in our community.

Not talking about kids using the TS or CS. Just thinking about having them be able to glue up a pre-cut bird house and then painting it themselves. Seems like a nice way to help keep kids busy over the summer vacation and give a little boost to the company as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our Boy Scout programs don't get much wing around here. I thought it might be a nice way to give something back, and give some T/O for the parents.

Thanks for the vote of confidence RC.
I think it is a great idea, community involvement has been the single greatest I have ever done for my biz.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Good idea, but run it by your insurance agent first. CYA.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,455 Posts
It's a bunch of clumsy kids in your shop. Anything can happen. CYA.

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a bunch of clumsy kids in your shop. Anything can happen. CYA.
I know kids, I use to be one.

I would make sure everything was unplugged so no accidents happened.

I think it would be a shame to have no mentors in wood working just because of some poor planning and paranoia. JMHO

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even with a Tool avatar.

Maybe you could un-plug everything.

I think you might be stepping on HD toe's, they usually have some bird house thing at the store a few times a year.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:F HD!:laughing::laughing::no:

These are my people, my community.:laughing:

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im just trying to help your bottom line.

Those would be some durable bird houses.

What kind of birds will these houses be for?
We have a lot of sparrows and finches here. So it would most likely cater to them. The Blue Jays and other large birds tend to not like being too close to humans. The smaller birds seem to have more tolerance with us.

I would love to hear some more feedback from cranbrook2 on this subject.:thumbsup: I'm thinking 1 1/4" holes would work well.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Yeah that sounds very cool.

I wanna come. I want to learn how to build a bird house too.:laughing:

Seriously, I have wanted to do something like that too. I would want to fire up a tool or two though. How can we expect them to be in a shop full of tools and not let them play with something? A jig saw, sander, something.
If I was to lose over something like that, wtf anyway.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,455 Posts
Yeah that sounds very cool.

I wanna come. I want to learn how to build a bird house too.:laughing:

Seriously, I have wanted to do something like that too. I would want to fire up a tool or two though. How can we expect them to be in a shop full of tools and not let them play with something? A jig saw, sander, something.
If I was to lose over something like that, wtf anyway.
Drill press with clamps and guards. All the kid would do was pull the lever to lower the drill into the front od the bird house.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts