Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motivated Noob
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was needing a compressor for my business and hadn't had much luck finding anything in my price range. I remembered seeing an old compressor on the side of the road close to my house so I figured I would go ask the people if they were interested in selling it. To my surprise they were, It had belonged to one of their dads and he had passed away a few years ago. They said they didn't know anything about it but that I was more than welcome to check it out. Obviously when I tried to start it nothing happened at all. I came back with a new battery and some diesel and surprisingly it fired right up. It has the John Deere 4039 engine it in with about 800 hours on the meter. I could tell a lot of the tubing and hoses were weak from sitting and after about a minute of letting it run the hoses started to go. This sent hydraulic fluid flying everywhere. I asked them how much they wanted and we had a deal. I put some air in the tires and took off with it minus $300. I'm in the process of trying to repair the compressor and I'm just kind of stuck. I'm having a hard time finding a manual for it and I'm not sure what to do next. I've got the canopy off to fix the rust and I want to fix the compressor end and do engine maintenance before I put the canopy back on.

Any insight on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I took some pictures of the tubing that burst, however, I have no clue what parts I need to order to replace them. Also, what kind of maintenance should I do on the compressor end?

I took some pictures with the iPhone, however, I didn't realize how fat my fingers are so they are pretty crappy. I can always take better photos if needed.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Those plastic lines are easy to repair. You might want to try NAPA for the lines and fittings. You might be able to reuse the fittings. You got that compressor for a steal.

·
Motivated Noob
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm stuck again. I thought I had everything functioning correctly but apparently I don't. All of my hoses/tubing has been repaired, all of my wiring is good, new fluids, and new filters. Here is the current problem. When I start the compressor I hold the "Override" and "Start" button simultaneously until the engine engages and I let go of the "Start" button. I continue to hold the "Override" button for 10-15 seconds. At this point the pressure gauge reads around 50. I was under the impression that I was then supposed to let the engine warm up and then press the "After Warm-Up Push To Run" button. When I push this button my Pressure Gauge shoots up to about 120, however, as soon as I release the button it drops back down. I almost feel as if I need some sort of throttle to control the PSI. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't know, I just need to figure it out. I attached an image of what my gauge/control panel looks like and what the compressor looks like on the truck. I still need to level out the compressor but at least it's up there!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been stuck for about two days now.

Attachments

·
Motivated Noob
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I thought I had everything figured out again but apparently I don't. For some reason my compressor oil is getting extremely hot. This is causing the plastic tubes/hoses to literally melt. I have plenty of hydraulic oil in the compressor and a new oil/air seperator.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I'm having trouble finding anyone to repair it in my area.

·
Contractor
7,667 Posts
Does the machine have an oil cooler on it? That could be partially clogged.

A bad or improperly set pressure relief valve will cause the oil to get very hot as well.

A rental yard should have a mechanic that is familiar with these type of compressors, I know you have some united rentals facilities near you. Take it by and talk with the shop manager, they would probably be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck.

·
Motivated Noob
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the machine have an oil cooler on it? That could be partially clogged.

A bad or improperly set pressure relief valve will cause the oil to get very hot as well.

A rental yard should have a mechanic that is familiar with these type of compressors, I know you have some united rentals facilities near you. Take it by and talk with the shop manager, they would probably be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info. The pressure relief valve seems to be working properly. I just replaced it with a replacement part from SULLAIR.

I think the problem is the thermal relief valve, however, I don't know how to check it for functionality and I don't want to order a repair kit if it's not needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts