Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a great exterior deck treatment for cedar and other natural woods. I have never found one I am happy with in all aspects. Some are just plain no good, some are a pain to work with, some work well, but are really difficult to re-coat in the future, particularly over worn areas. I've tried a number of different products, but have never found that one that I am really happy with.

I am in western washington where exterior decks take a beating with all of the rain in the winter, the sun drying them out in the summer and the mold growing on them all the rest of the time!

I'm about to coat some new 5/4 x 4 cedar decking, but once again have nothing in mind that I "really" want to use to finish it with. I'd like a product that protects as well as prevents graying from UV rays.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I like Sikkens SRD, oil, and Duck's Back
Super Deck.
Edge to Sikkens.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another vote for TWP 100 series.
Dulux paints and Kelly-moore carry it locally. I think Dunn lumber has it as well.
Dulux recently got acquired by the same mega corp that makes Flood products so they'll be pushing that soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. You've given me some new options to try with a bit of confidence going in.

I don't know about mill-glaze, but I learned the hard way over ten years ago that you really do have to pay attention to what the product says on the can when it comes to moisture. Got in the habit of treating right after install with no problems. Then on one nice big deck I ignored the rules, just like I had been doing for a couple of years, and the cedar grew black mildew under the finish. We had to hand strip the whole works with furniture stripper, dry it out and do it right. It grew back and we had to do the whole thing a third time.

Score: Instructions 1, Me negative $2,500

I always test with a moisture meter now when it comes to any wood finishing, inside or outside.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sikkens SRD all the way... I live in Hawaii, and the elements are harsh here. The sun and salt do lots of damage, Sikkens is the only product that holds up the best and longest. hope this helps.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Intersting work Chris I like the barn door hardware big gate along with a passage.

Building outdoor projects like you do you of course know that any slight shining that comes from a planer at the mill is going to open up right away on any wood exposed to the sun.

What do I call wood that has a sheen to it and beads water....with no finish....some bad ass stuff I want to work with send me some samples ol son and put me on the waiting list for a Major buy. J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts