Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling to remove an old kitchen faucet nut. It is rusted and in a very tight space at the back of the cabinet so I have no leverage. The nut is not a standard hex. I sprayed it with WD-40, but it didn't help. The screws are loosened almost all the way so that is not the problem. Ideas?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,300 Posts
Yea I’ve had few of those that were a pain in the butt.

Basin wrench is your friend.

Worst one I cut the faucet out with a SawZall from the top. 😳👍

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
its brass, I usually drill them off with a 3/16 bit at the narrow side if the basin wrench does not work

I have a real long drill bit that works great

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Muttering and some cursing helps to focus one's energy.

That one is ripe for grabbing the set ring with a slotted wrench from the side and giving it a little muscle. Or rap the lefties loose side with a hammer, since it's nicely oriented to do so.

·
Kowboy
2,362 Posts
Don't waste any time with wrenches, heat, and WD please. That rust can make a catastrophic weld. Angle grinder from the top; don't touch the countertop. I have to do this regularly.

·
Kowboy
2,362 Posts
Bust the sink apart with a sledgehammer.

Andy.
You can disconnect the sink, unscrew the clips (if some are inaccessible, drive a stiff scraper between the sink flange and stone bottom into the screws and they'll fail), drop the sink, and get access to the rusty nut. Replace the faucet.

Clean the sink flange and the stone bottom. Install a Hercules Universal Sink Harness (BB Industries) or a Sink Strap (Regent Stone Products) or two to the cabinet sides. Silicone the flange, clamp the sink in place through the drain, tighten the HUSH or SS, pull the clamp, and clean up the silicone squeeze out with a Windex mist.

Clips are junk for securing undermount sinks. They invariably leak, especially on double bowl sinks, and leaks can cause catastrophic reinforcement rod failure.
IMG_0130.jpeg

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Don't waste any time with wrenches, heat, and WD please. That rust can make a catastrophic weld. Angle grinder from the top; don't touch the countertop. I have to do this regularly.
Maybe, I we know that you know the nut in that pic was a piece of cake with just a little more persuasion.

·
Registered
Carpentry
248 Posts
Muttering and some cursing helps to focus one's energy.
The last thing i do before i give up on a task is to get really f%$#& pissed at it, and it works really well.

Its easy to try to think about how to proceed too much when really you just need to channel that inner caveman.

I remember when i was trying to hang a 12' long pine T&G piece on a ceiling with 2 holes cutout for can lights by myself with no special tools or jigs. It was an impossible task, but after 3 failed attempts i got f%*$& pissed, adrenaline flowing, and it went right in.

·
Kowboy
2,362 Posts
Maybe, I we know that you know the nut in that pic was a piece of cake with just a little more persuasion.
Maybe, but in my sink replacement business, ain't nobody got time for that foolishness. That thing's gotta go. Now. I can't even afford my own callbacks anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts