Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to learn a popular CAD program for Architexture. years back I learned SDRC Ideas and CatiaV5 for mechanical drawings, and picked up on them pretty easy.

I'm leaning toward AutoCAD. it seams the most universal and popular one out there, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

also what instuctional book would you suggest. My CAD classes in the past were basicaly go throught the projects in the book, so I figure if I get a decent book and go through it, I should be pretty good.

·
Banned
902 Posts
You can download a trial copy of Chief Architect by going to their website. It is fully functional, no time limit, but you cannot save a file, plus a session will time out after 4 hours, so you will lose what you've done (if you last that long.)

You could spend years with it just putzing around and learning what you can, with that trial copy.

I am not certain whether you gain access to the instructional videos when using the trial. I don't think so, but there is a way to learn for free by going to the ChiefExperts website and there, you can get free access to Dan Baumann's many many hours of online training videos for Chief version 10. The changes and improvements from v.10 to the v.X2 you can download free, won't matter that much for basic learning.

Chief's website will show you plenty of stuff in the gallery pages, in the way of examples of output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts