Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy suddenly quit on me today without any previous notice. I was a bit stunned but at the same time I realize that in this industry nobody is indispensable much less guaranteed to be loyal. I have no hard feelings towards the guy but this really screws up some of my plans. But hey.. what can you do?

So it made me wonder what you guys think as it relates to sudden departures. Is it better if the employee quits after the work day? Or is it better if he finishes out the day, goes home, and then comes in the next morning to make the announcement?

This guy quit right before lunch so I could take it with the same regard as if this guy got sick or hurt or some other event that put him out of work for a few days. Hopefully it takes me less than that long to find a replacement.

I wanna say that it doesn't bother me but in a way it does because this was the last guy that I thought would quit, much less do it without notice.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Most I recall tell me at quitting time.

Every now and then a guy would let me know hey "Friday will be my last day". It varied....

Several have quit more than once....

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I had a guy first day, I tell him to pre cut the studs while I run to the yard (about 15mins). I came back and he was gone.:blink:

·
Super Moderator
10,658 Posts
I have seen every kind of quit. Many in the last few years quit suddenly with zero notice. Most don't even tell you they quit, they just stop showing up. With the long term guys generally you get some notice. A lot of time if you pay attention, you can see it coming. After about 6 months, they are not only my employees, but also my friends. As a friend, I want them to take advantage of better opportunities. As their employer, it sucks, but you learn to adjust. As long as I never quit, things will still get done.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I just posted about a labourer quitting in the hate thread. It's too bad and it can really screw up schedules. I've always given notice, no sense in burning bridges. I had a great relationship with my last employer and will be welcomed back should I ever choose to work there again.

One place I worked at was only for 3 months. I was there as a temporary worker but the owner expressed an interest in hiring me permanently. It wasn't an industry I wanted to get into so I gave notice even though as a temporary worker I didn't have to and the last day I had a sit down with the boss, explained my reasons and got a reference out of it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Monday morning at 5:30 I get a text that he will be a little late because of the roads. At 9:30 I get a VM that he trashed his hub because of a broken tie rod. Saturday I get a VM that he has been in jail and just came to town to clear out his apartment.:censored::laughing:

Pretty run of the mill for us.:mad:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,328 Posts
And you wonder why I'm a one man show.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
tedanderson:

I would go out of my way to find out why he quit.

Joe
What good would it do? He's gone, let him go and move on. If he's willing to just walk off, his opinion or reason for leaving would hold much weight in my book.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I agree, you can mostly tell who's beginning to wobble, and they most likely will bail. Attitude, work quality, whining - all signs of an impending change.

I have the other problem, can't find a finisher who's a finisher. Lots of replys to my ad. One said he could figure it out as he goes, uh.... no. It's the only way I can get into the larger jobs though, (by hiring another guy) so I will keep looking.

To be fair, I don't know framing so I don't bid those jobs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I cant think of one over the years that didn't come back around at some point months or years later to see if they could come back. I discuss that in my interviews now for new hires so they know I don't hold it against them for leaving for a better opportunity however they define it as long as they leave on respectful terms.

We all know all the reasons staff comes and goes and it includes simply "needing a change" and personal challenges that have nothing to do with us whatsoever.

Bottom line is there are usually two motives for everything someone does. The real reason and the reason they tell you. Sometimes they are the same. Other times, not so much. Therefore, I don't always put to much stock into finding out the reason or believing it when I am given one.

Planning for surprises helps. If you are always on the look out and encourage your staff to always be on the look out for new available new hires, the recovery is much quicker and less inconvenient.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have always given 2 weeks, never needed to quit immediately. I figure its only fair. I would expect my boss to give me some advance notice if he was quitting the business or whatever.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Would you expect him to give you notice if he was firing you?

It's nice to give notice, and I've always tried to give at least some....but I don't feel like I "owe" it to them. If they were going to fire me, they wouldn't say "hey, next Friday will be your last day...you're fired...sorry"

·
Registered
818 Posts
Would you expect him to give you notice if he was firing you?

It's nice to give notice, and I've always tried to give at least some....but I don't feel like I "owe" it to them. If they were going to fire me, they wouldn't say "hey, next Friday will be your last day...you're fired...sorry"
Well usually a firing happens due to someone screwing up really bad so it's pretty obvious they're gonna get fired. If it's for other reasons, like being late all the time, they should see it coming (because you talk to them about it) and they either shape up, or know they're getting fired.

On a big crew where maybe you don't become somewhat friends with the boss, giving notice probably isn't as necessary. But in a job like mine where I'm pretty good friends with my boss, it's just common courtesy to give a notice in advance so I don't leave him in a tight spot.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I can't speak for everyone who walks out but in the few times I did it it was because I got fed up with what was going on around me.

It gets irritating when you try and tell the boss what's happening only for him to ignore you.

It's also irritating when you get blamed for work not getting done because the equipment keeps breaking down. Even though enough reports and people who could do something about it knew about it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
At the job where I got most of my training, I got fired twice, and quite three times. Never missed a day's work. Until the final quit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I had a young guy working with me( years ago).

I sent him down to the ground to get another bundle of shingles--- he never came back up the ladder! Poof!- just disappeared.

Very dis-appointing. the kid had worked with me for a few weeks already. He was excited to learn a trade, I had actually bought him his first tool belt, basic hand tools, helped him open a bank account, explained checking to him etc.

So--a week later he calls me up and says " Steve- I made a mistake. Can I have my job back?"

I had to explain to him " Rob- what can I do. you just dis-appeared. It would be different if you had came to me after work one day- or first thing in the morning and told me you were thinking that this line of work isn't for you. I sympathize- it's not for every one.- But to disappear like that- how could I ever trust you again- I would always be expecting you to do the same thing."

I definitely don't have a revolving door policy. If a guy wants to leave to pursue what he thinks is a better opportunity- I entirely understand. But there are realities behind that decision. This isn't an ATM machine where you can show up to withdraw $$$$ when it's convenient for YOU. Once you leave- I make other arrangements and get on with the work. Once you leave you have LEFT.

If A guy wants to leave and start his own gig- I entirely understand- it's what I did, once upon a time.- I will even help the guy- but I am not gonna be his fall back position.

Once you are out of the nest you better fly on your own--- so you better REALLY commit to that first leap!

Not much of a problem for us anymore as our work has kind of evolved to the point where we simply don't have a position for that entry level worker.

stephen

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,328 Posts
I would have given him the chance if I hadn't replaced him already. Takes balls to call back up and ask for your job after doing something so boneheaded.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Not quite the same but one of my first employees would continually show up 15-30 minutes late. I told him if he is ever going to show up late again to just stay home.

So the next day he showed up late again and I sent him packing. That following morning he was there before I was which is 10 minutes early. Luckily for him, he was really needed on that project so I let him stay.

Now, I'm entering my 5th season and he is still around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts