Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard off a new type of material that can be set up on a wood sub-floor as a substitue for hardiback board. I heard about this today, apparently there is a plastic material with square dimples, you install this on the floor with staples and trowel over the dimples with thinset, apparently this is as strong or stronger that hardiback board but is a lot thinner. Didn't even get the name of this material, if it exist.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about this:

http://schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectionf/ditra/601-index.html

It doesn't just get "stapled down" though, it has to be layed in thinset.

BTW, the job of that or hardiboard isn't necessarily to be "strong", it serves as a decoupling layer, so movement in the structure of the house won't cause cracking in the tile and grout.

·
Trowel Monkey
57 Posts
I agree. It sounds like you are describing Schluter's "Ditra" product. I'll also agree that neither Hardibacker, Fibrerock, Durrock, Wonderboard, Ditra or any other underlayment is meant to provide any sort of structural benefit to the strength of the floor it's being installed over. Schluter has some great tutorial videos on their website.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read about that in the Sept. '05 issue of Fine Homeuilding, pg. 74. Looks like some good stuff. I haven't used it yet, I'll have to test it out when I redo my kitchen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts