Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few weeks I've noticed more calls than usual from subs looking for work. This happens every year in the spring, but this year there are more calls than ever. Many of the callers sound a little worried. I haven't noticed any slowdown, but I don't like it when this starts to happen. Is anyone else having a similar experience?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Tell them that there are still a few years worth of work here. Pay is less but we don't buy winter clothes, snow tires, pay for heat and taxes are low. You can also catch supper year 'round.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds tempting. If summer falls on a weekend this year, we're going to have a picnic. Word is, we're the highest taxed state in the nation.

·
Finish carpentry contrctr
51 Posts
mikesewell said:
The last few weeks I've noticed more calls than usual from subs looking for work. This happens every year in the spring, but this year there are more calls than ever. Many of the callers sound a little worried. I haven't noticed any slowdown, but I don't like it when this starts to happen. Is anyone else having a similar experience?

This is the slowest winter I have ever witnessed in my 16rs. In fact if there is work in states that surround Ohio we would consider helping out until (if) we ever get busy again. We are very worried.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Oh yea? are you forgetting about 91' and the gulf war..........oh, forgot to count, thats right at 16 years isn't it.

That winter was so slow.........I'd never seen another like it and maybe never will.

Bob

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justtrimmin,
So far so good, here in my area of New York State. I just don't like getting these calls. Maybe it's a fluke, but it does get my attention. I fish in the western part of the state in the fall. Last year when I went out there, it looked awful. Those guys are starving. If you want to find a contractor out there, you just hang out at the welfare department.

I understand that Ohio is very bad right now. I feel sorry for you guys. This business is tough enough when things are good. When times are tough, one mistake can set you back for a long time.

Glass,
Aw, '91 wasn't so bad! I stuck to my guns price-wise and took in $40.00 for a service call that winter. If I didn't have to eat, I could have used it to pay off some of the interest on the credit card debt. I was able to recover in less than a decade. Gees, all you guys do is *****, *****, *****...

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Im and electrical contractor in central PA, and this winter has been one of my busiest and most profitable ever in 15 years. I know that we're at the end of the housing bubble, but I've still got months of work lined up with no end in sight. Unless there's an Amish hostile takeover and we all quit using electricity, I'll always stay busy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts