Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a job right now that had T&G over 3/4 ply on 1/2 the main level and double 3/4 ply on the other. Removed all the T&G and the top layer of ply from the other half.

Now the floor has some spongy spots. My opinion is that it needs to be replaced but curious as to if it would work to overlay the existing ply with 3/4 t&g OSB. My fear with that option is squeaks developing where the ply compresses. If it would work to overlay it would be quite a bit less work too...

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
griz said:
How would you do it in your Mom's house?
Do it for free and ask for lunch...

hdavis said:
If that's rot, it has to be replaced.
Yes, was wet for somewhere around a month.

Felt it needed replaced but feel the adjuster will feel otherwise so I just wanted some other perspective before discussing it.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,141 Posts
Felt it needed replaced but feel the adjuster will feel otherwise so I just wanted some other perspective before discussing it.
Grab a screwdriver, and if you can stick it through, I don't see how an adjuster could argue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is spongy? The old existing ply or the structural joist? If it is rotted joist joist definitely replace. If it is rotted sub floor, just cut that area out if you are just going to lay new 3/4 over the top. Personally I would rip all the old out and replace with new but if the adjuster won't allow the funding then you need to document, document, document and take a lot of pics to CYA going forward. As far as you concern of floor squeaks you need to use an abundant amount of glue. Higher end floor glue. Spending more money on glue up front is cheaper than coming back to fix floor squeaks. Do not use any nails! Only screw to attach new sub floor. I would screw down existing sub floor as well prior to overlaying the new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts