Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used the same plumber as my sub for almost 2 years and never had any complaint about him. I always thought his pricing was fair and I never beat him up on his prices. I never shopped around for other quotes because I trusted that he would give me a fair price. For the past 5 projects in a row he has hit me with change orders on every job sometimes even 2 or 3 in one project. I mentioned this to him and his words were you can't account for unforeseen circumstances. I just don't understand because I always schedule a site visit and always give him a detailed report with pictures and plans. Can someone offer some advice.

·
Super Moderator
24,714 Posts
Are you being advised of the CO prior to the work being done or just handed a bill at completion?

Are you on the job daily to monitor what is going on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually stop by once or twice a week, generally my project manager is there in a daily basis. The first couple of times he would just hand me the invoice, but we put a stop to that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Contracts usually state that additional work (outside of contract scope and price) have to be mutually agreed upon and memorialised in writing (change order) PRIOR to that work being performed. This is to prevent your exact situation.
He is correct that "you can't account for unforeseen circumstances", but he should write up a CO for hidden conditions PRIOR to performing the work, and you in turn need to present a CO to the HO for the same thing, hidden conditions.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree
I always have in my contract ( especially in older homes) that upon opening the walls and ceilings , if we find any conditions , such as water or termite damage , or foundation settling , or just un-safe previous work or work found that wasn`t to code, or just need to be upgraded, that we will address it , and price it out .
I also state I will do none of this work until we address it , and come to an agreement

if he doesn`t ad that to his contract , you can write it in , and both initial it.
he could be totally justified , but the way he does it makes it look sneaky.

just have a quick sit down , or phone call , and explain how it looks to the client ,when there is a change in cost that they never got to approve .
it makes you look like your not in control

by the way , your wrong to not every now and then shop your plumbing or any subs costs.
your representing the client

·
Registered
550 Posts
it just makes sense to make sure your subs are being fair to you.
I have shopped prices of subs I`ve known for years .
if I find their price is too high , I`ll show them .
they jeopardize you getting the job if they are too high
.if its 5 % , o.k , but if he is 20-30% higher ,you have to address it.

you can say ." listen , I shopped this job , and your the highest . I would much rather use you , we have a god relationship , but you have to be closer to the typical numbers ."

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Hire a new plumber on the next job. When the old one complains tell him that the new plumber had enough experience not to need a change order.

Five cos in a row? Sounds like hes getting dumber not smarter.

·
Super Moderator
27,669 Posts
it just makes sense to make sure your subs are being fair to you.
I have shopped prices of subs I`ve known for years .
if I find their price is too high , I`ll show them .
they jeopardize you getting the job if they are too high
.if its 5 % , o.k , but if he is 20-30% higher ,you have to address it.

you can say ." listen , I shopped this job , and your the highest . I would much rather use you , we have a god relationship , but you have to be closer to the typical numbers ."
Some subs are worth it.

The tile setter and sparky I would LIKE to use are 20% higher than my current subs. As it is, my sparky is good, my guys usually set my tile.

Both of those gentlemen make a good living working primarily for HOs.

·
Super Moderator
27,669 Posts
I've used the same plumber as my sub for almost 2 years and never had any complaint about him. I always thought his pricing was fair and I never beat him up on his prices. I never shopped around for other quotes because I trusted that he would give me a fair price. For the past 5 projects in a row he has hit me with change orders on every job sometimes even 2 or 3 in one project. I mentioned this to him and his words were you can't account for unforeseen circumstances. I just don't understand because I always schedule a site visit and always give him a detailed report with pictures and plans. Can someone offer some advice.
Why is your PM not on this? If he is there, the plumber should be going over issues with him. Otherwise, why have him?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts