Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Has anyone of you had a sub or employee walk of a job, leave it to where extra work needs to be done and the home owner decides to use another contractor to finish the job but you have a signed contract with the homeowner? If so, what did you do in the situation?

Thanks in advance!

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Hi Folks,

Has anyone of you had a sub or employee walk of a job, leave it to where extra work needs to be done and the home owner decides to use another contractor to finish the job but you have a signed contract with the homeowner? If so, what did you do in the situation?

Thanks in advance!
I've never walked..But can't count the times I wanted or should have!!!:censored:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Sounds like you are not supervising a job adequately.

If you had been monitoring the job site you would have gotten wind of a disgruntled employee or sub and been able to take corrective action.

Seems odd that this individual had enough time to go south on you, that the HO found out, discovered a problem with the work and hired someone else.

You were never in control of this job.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance!

You mean, he basically fired you? What reason did he give? If you have a contract, you can't really be "kicked off the job" except for reasons stipulated in the contract.

OTOH, Harry Homeowner is not going to be happy with the work you do, no matter how great it may be, just because he didn't want you there?? Do you really want to continue down that road?

Legally (assuming your contract is solid) he owes you for work completed, as lined out in the progress payments section (you do have one of those, yes? :) ) plus any cancellation fee that was agreed upon, by him, in writing (by signature) in your contract.

However, there's always a point where you're throwing good money after bad money, and it's just not worth it.

Only you can decide how to proceed, really.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I've walked off a few jobs.
Not all contractors are loyal, or truthfull, Hell, Most don't know the time of day

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what happened Griz! I had to go out of town, and I thought I could leave the sub to finish the job. The painter said they had the credentials of 27 years painting. I come back in town to see the work :censored:. I'm very disappointed. I've lost a customer and referrals and money because I hired someone who lied to me and made me look like an A hole. Home owner wants money back so they can use it to pay someone else to finish. This is the first time this has happened to me and only because I wasn't there to oversee the project and jump in when needed.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
That's exactly what happened Griz! I had to go out of town, and I thought I could leave the sub to finish the job. The painter said they had the credentials of 27 years painting. I come back in town to see the work :censored:. I'm very disappointed. I've lost a customer and referrals and money because I hired someone who lied to me and made me look like an A hole. Home owner wants money back so they can use it to pay someone else to finish. This is the first time this has happened to me and only because I wasn't there to oversee the project and jump in when needed.
No offense...Sounds like you didn't do your home work. JS..
A local painter here retired last year after 50 years of painting!

I was like....THANK GOD!:whistling

Reactions: Live_oak

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
What do you do?

What you do depends on the cost of the job, the amount that was completed the correct way, and the value of the work that was completed the correct way minus and additional costs if the work that was screwed up resulted in additional and unnecessary costs plus any materials you paid for that were used the correct way.

My goal would be to appease the customer and making a profit would be the last thing on my mind. Not knowing the conversations you had with the customer, I would act immediately and ask the customer to see the work, what was done wrong, and would not mention money until after you analyze the situation.

You are liable for the workers you send to a job and you have to be willing to take the losses as well as the profits. Cut your losses as soon as possible so they don't escalate into monsters that torment you for months or years. It is hard to move forward when problems are bothering you. Make your decisions quick and painless.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,278 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance!
You used a sub who you didn't have a long history with, then went on vacation - they made a mess and left? Unbelievable.

I'd be apologizing like crazy to the HO and covering their cost of my screw up. Forget about the contract, worry about the hit your reputation just took.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Frankly, speaking as a homeowner, I wouldn't want anyone on the job who had one eye on the contract for CYA purposes.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,278 Posts
They want money back?? Whenever I pay or get paid I make sure whoevers getting paid is done.. and I never take money for something that isn't done.
I'm guessing this is for added prep for repainting. A bad paint job can really add prep time over just doing it right to begin with. Lumps, bumps, sloppy caulk, it can easily triple the time you need to do the painting.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
The painter said they had the credentials of 27 years painting. I come back in town to see the work :censored:. I'm very disappointed.

Let this be a lesson to you. :thumbsup: Everyone pays for their education, in one way or another.

Rule 1: Never hire a sub contractor without verifying that they in fact, know what they are doing, complete with insurance and WC certs.

Rule 2: If you want to be a general contractor, step up and act like one.

·
Metal Stud Framer
180 Posts
No one ever wants to walk off a job.

If they do it is a direct result of incompetent supervision/leadership.

"The buck stops here"
That is written in stone.
Of my 30+ years in commercial construction I have never seen someone walk off the job for any other reason but some arrogant, "hard driving" idiot foreman or an office full of people that never assembled two Lego blocks.

Parking lot adjustments also work but usually the guy that pushes people to this is the first to whine and cry for charges pressed.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
I threw many people off jobs.

No one ever wants to walk off a job.
I fired many employees and subs in the midst of jobs and had many employees walk home from jobs.

One thing I can say about myself is I am not meek when it comes to firing people. My employees probably find me to be very predictable and that means they know they will be walking home regardless of who they are and regardless of how long they worked for my company.

The major problem I have with subs is a new sub does not know my company's policies nor the quality of work I require. Every time I hire subs I have to lecture them about toilet habits, smoking, cleanliness, where to dispose debris, etc., and when I don't the jobs always turn into a nightmare.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The painter said they had the credentials of 27 years painting. .

I have heard that old story so often that I'M jaded . Reason being , upon close investigation that guy who says he has 20-30 etc. of experience in reality has but one year of experience replicated 20-30 times.:laughing:

You blew it by not doing your homework. All is not lost,try your best to admit to the customer you dropped the ball. Apologize to them,ask what it would take to make amends and learn from your mistakes. Every once and a while even a monkey falls out of a tree and they are supposed to be good climbers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts