Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of this years parade of homes nearing completion burned down this week. The fire has been traced to a sub contractor who was staining interior doors. The rags used and discarded during the job spontaneously combusted. :eek:

The builder said "Oh well, things happen, we will recover from it, we are judged upon how we react to aversity."

·
Registered
318 Posts
"The builder said "Oh well, things happen, we will recover from it, we are judged upon how we react to aversity."

Lol - translation: "Insurance man is pi##ed."

Tim

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lol - Typed it at the same time Grump. Chicagoans must think alike.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think that even if the sub has enough insurance to cover it that there will be a problem? Will the insurance company have the right to get out of it over the sub not working safely ie not disposing of flammable rags in a fire proof container?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I know I don't my insurance only covers $2 mil, and my fire insurance craps out at $100,000.

I really don't know what exclusions the sub's insurance has. Ya think the sub is going to file backruptcy? I couldn't afford a 2.5 million loss.

·
Registered
199 Posts
HHMMmmmm ... I smell a rat. It is so rare for rags to cumbust* like that. But looks like the players are wealthy, so the investigators will take the easy way and blame some shumck. But if the investigators had a pair and were real close to retirement, they'd take a real close look at the contractors and H.O's financial situation.
You wouldn't believe the number of high rollers who have furniture for just a couple of rooms for their McMansions. (Okay rant off)

*Our local peace officer academy couldn't get the soaked rags to fire off in July, but April?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shopdust - this was a home to be in the Parade of Homes, annual homes show. They basically are showcase homes that a builder wants desperately to be in the show. This one was 7000 sq ft, guest house and turn-table in garage. While I understand what you are saying, I would have to see it to believe it if fraud was involved, but stranger things have happened. Who would have thought that Michael Jackson was once a black child?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts