Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a small photography studio and my drywall sub miscalculated his bid by $700 so his price went from $1700 to $2400. The miscalculation occurred before the building started when I gave him the dimensions of the building and all interior walls. Nothing has changed since he put in his bid and he knows that, he just said he miss calculated it.

He has let me know the error and by the way he talks he hopes that I can pay him the full amount. I do have a little extra money figured in the job where I could pay him but I think it may be a mistake as it could happen on jobs in the future to and I could be taken advantage of.

I don't want to pay the full $700 for sure but I'm considering meeting him half way and paying him $350 extra. I'm not sure how to handle this situation.......

I have had good experiences with him in the past and my subs love me because I always pay them quickly when their job is complete.

So, to help out or to let him learn a lesson?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Not that it matters, but how did he miscalculate? Honest number error, or did he underestimate his time? I once got a labor only bid, and the guy wanted more half-way through since it was taking longer than expected. Since I was not the cause of that, I held him to it. Life lesson.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,060 Posts
I'd say, "Here's $200, and tuition for the School of Hard Knocks is $500".

Reactions: brhokel606

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would need a more detailed explanation than that. In what way did he miscalculate? Omission? Typo on the calculator? Did he double check his work before he submitted?

If you do anything. let him know you rely on these numbers to make your agreements with others, you wont eat his whole mistake, he needs to step up too and this will be the last time you budge once a number is submitted and relied on in good faith.

Eating half seems overly generous.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I agree with the above, meet in the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure how he miscalculated. He wanted to come by the job and measure before he had the rock delivered. I was there when he came by and he said he didn't figure enough boards. Although there were 4 boards (4'x12') left over after everything was hung.

I guess I could meet him halfway once.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would meet him halfway since he is a good sub, and the numbers are fairly small.

If he is a Great DW sub, I'd pay him in full. A great DW contractor who likes you is a wonderful thing.

Nice guys finish first.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive screwed up by $1,000 before.....i ate it

let him learn

ive had builders screw up and ask me to lower my price.....i thought it made them look like amateurs

people screw up.....its not like 1 job is going to kill him.....give him nothing

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I'd be worried about setting a precedent for this happening again. Guys need to know there's not a pot of extra money just waiting to patch these things up. And him wanting the whole thing is what kind of bothers me more than anything. It shows little accountability on his part.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
when i screw up i eat it....when my employees screw up i eat it, when my vendor or customer screws up i almost always eat it.

My sub is a business man, just like me, he should play by the same rules. If I thought his price was low before I submit my price, I would have given him a call then. He should not even ask.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,595 Posts
He pays for his mistake - everyone's price is already set. If it will put him under / squeeze him too hard then you're talking a buddy - to - buddy deal after all costs are incurred.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I think it largely depends on the relationship you have with him. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. If you truly trusted him you would need to worry about it happening again, because he would've learned his lesion this time. It appears that you don't trust him.

I have guys work for me that I trust immensely. I also had subs work for me that were very talented but I had l little trust because the relationship was fairly new.

If he overestimated, would he give you back the excess money? People that I trust, would and have. If the answer is no, then let him learn by this error and not give him any money.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Im not sure how he miscalculated. He wanted to come by the job and measure before he had the rock delivered. I was there when he came by and he said he didn't figure enough boards. Although there were 4 boards (4'x12') left over after everything was hung.

He asked for more money due to error before rock was delivered, yes?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

You're getting snowed. $700 on a job that size is not due to miscalculating some boards. Think about it. What really happened is he probably got to talking with others and learned they're getting more $/board...and they count # boards a little differently (higher, regardless of waste). Well, that's just tough.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You're getting snowed. $700 on a job that size is not due to miscalculating some boards. Think about it. What really happened is he probably got to talking with others and learned they're getting more $/board...and they count # boards a little differently (higher, regardless of waste). Well, that's just tough.
Perhaps.
Or

Some tradesmen do not take off well from prints. They do not bid from plans well due to being green, or having a trade which doesn't reference the plans much.
Maybe he didn't take note to the skylights or arches or dentals or firewall or level 5 ceiling.

Some of the best craftsman are the worst business men...

I'm of course assuming the owner/bidder is wearing mud on his clothes...If he is a paper contractor he can go :censored: himself.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You should know what the square foot of drywall cost you.... Figure the square footage, divide by the sgft price and then you will know if he really messed up....

That being said I would consider meeting him half way because he came to you before the job started.... Mid way through the job I would tell him to pound sand.

To be honest I don't think my subs would ever ask me something like this..... Some jobs are losers and some are home runs. The same goes for me. The more experienced I get the better I am at not setting myself up for a loser.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Perhaps.
Or

Some tradesmen do not take off well from prints. They do not bid from plans well due to being green, or having a trade which doesn't reference the plans much.
Maybe he didn't take note to the skylights or arches or dentals or firewall or level 5 ceiling.

Some of the best craftsman are the worst business men...

I'm of course assuming the owner/bidder is wearing mud on his clothes...If he is a paper contractor he can go :censored: himself.

I agree with this, but I'm sure he won't let it happen again if he knows he could potentially take a bath from screwing up. From as far as I can tell it was a starlight forward board job and the guy either did his math wrong, or realized his number was too low. He walked the job before the bid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts