Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to feed a 125 or 200 amp sub panel off my existing 200 amp service from my residence which is about 30 feet apart. Installed at the house a Westinghouse WMB 202040S load center. I see no means of adding any lugs to the main breaker. I was considering tapping the lugs or finding a lug kit and feeding off of the existing incoming busses and utilizing another 200 amp panel at the new building with a main breaker included. Would this entail getting a lug kit from Westinghouse or just some run of the mill lugs at the electric supply house. I did not seem to find any sizeable feeder breakers for this type of box that uses the BR type breakers. Since I am going to feed off the service incoming wires, should I utilize a grounding rod at the new building. I have seen some talk here about whether to do that or not.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
All of the threads I have seen posted from you seem to be homeowner questions and not much to prove you are a GC. I would suggest talking it over with your EC and get his input. Better yet, hire him for the install.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I am going to feed a 125 or 200 amp sub panel off my existing 200 amp service from my residence which is about 30 feet apart. Installed at the house a Westinghouse WMB 202040S load center. I see no means of adding any lugs to the main breaker. I was considering tapping the lugs or finding a lug kit and feeding off of the existing incoming busses and utilizing another 200 amp panel at the new building with a main breaker included. Would this entail getting a lug kit from Westinghouse or just some run of the mill lugs at the electric supply house. I did not seem to find any sizeable feeder breakers for this type of box that uses the BR type breakers. Since I am going to feed off the service incoming wires, should I utilize a grounding rod at the new building. I have seen some talk here about whether to do that or not.
Go down to your AHJ and chat about it with the senior electrical inspector. He'll tell you what to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello TEX and thanks for your input.

I only asked two questions and you did not answer either of them. Also, two more questions. Are you just assuming that I have an EC and that my EC is a "he"? Do you have to go around in life each day and prove who you are?

It must be true, egos have to be fed too!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Do you plan to pull the permit as an owner/builder, or using your license? If you use your license, the AHJ will stick to the 3-trade rule. If as an owner-builder, you'll get special attention from the inspectors.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I'm somewhat amazed (kinda sorta) that this thread hasn't been closed yet.

Genmin: it would appear that you aren't much interested in having a competent electrician come by and properly evaluate not only your current electrical system (loads, etc), but what you are proposing to do. It is possible that your current 200 amp service would be inadequate; ergo, the need for the competent electrician. I can only assume you are not familiar with how to do so (i.e., calculate loads/voltage drop/wire sizes/bonding/grounding/etc), given what you've stated.

As Bob said, the electrical inspector can help you sort through what he will require of said changes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Hello TEX and thanks for your input.

I only asked two questions and you did not answer either of them. Also, two more questions. Are you just assuming that I have an EC and that my EC is a "he"? Do you have to go around in life each day and prove who you are?

It must be true, egos have to be fed too!
Most GCs have an EC. Since you posted your trade as GC, you are correct that I assumed you would have one, or several.

No need for me to prove who I am on a daily basis, and I probably have less desire to feed my ego than most people you meet.

On a regular basis I meet with builders to give them advice on how to go about the electrical installation on various jobs.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Have you even considered doing a load calc for this? From what i am getting out of this you are looking to power one home from another correct? I can see pulling a 100amp service off your existing 200amp panel/service but i do not think i would go more than that without a proper load calc. Even with a 100 amp a load calc would not hurt.

Is the main service fed directly from a utility pole to the home or is there a pedestal to work from? A pedestal would be easier to work from IMO but even then a load calc would still be recommended.

Grounding at the second building/sub panel? That depends on what wire you use. Using 4-wire you do not need to ground the sub panel. Using 3-wire you must.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks woodchuck2, It is not a home, it is a metal building, basically storage. Did a load calc, all is well as the building will only have lighting and some 120v outlets and 1 50 amp 240v outlet. Not much for future needs either and the house box is not compromised. My intent was to get some input as I had some time on Sunday to see if someone at this forum was familiar with this Westinghouse box and could give me some direction as if there was a known lug kit available. I had already been looking for a feeder breaker and to no avail. I had found out that Westinghouse did not make one for the WNB box. I was assuming I would look for a lug kit and tap the meter busses and feed through the box to my location. I already knew from my county RMA that they would allow to tap the meter busses. I probably should have reviewed my post first, was just looking for a quick response, and boy did I get tarred and feathered. It going to be hard to go out in the light tomorrow. Thanks to CarpenterSFO and Jeff G also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks TxElectrician, Certainly for my needs, 100 or 125 amps is plenty. By feeding through I could utilize a 200 amp box I have on hand. Although my needs are not that great, it will certainly provide for some expansion or a future owners needs.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Why not run a 100 amp feeder to your 200 amp box.
X2, done this myself in the past. 100 amp breaker in your main panel to protect the wire and use the "main" breaker of the sub panel as a dis-connect to shut off the buss. Or you can just purchase a 100 amp sub panel, you can pick up a 6 slot to a 20 slot for under $100. Keep the bigger panel for another job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts