1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanting opinions from all angles..

Heres the situation

What would you do if

Your sub is marketing himself to your clients, including but not limited to giving out their own business cards etc...

:eek:

You would think an a hole whos making 40-50$ an hr off your ass would be happy, evidently not...:furious:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Just wanting opinions from all angles..

Heres the situation

What would you do if

Your sub is marketing himself to your clients, including but not limited to giving out their own business cards etc...

:eek:

You would think an a hole whos making 40-50$ off your ass would be happy, evidently not...:furious:
If one of my subs bid to one of my clients jobs that I brought him on, they would no longer be one of my subs and would never work for me again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
get a better sub-contractor agreement that allows you to sue him for marketing to your customers.

there should be a no compete clause in all contracts you sign with subs. if you dont have a contract with him you suck and should not be in business.

if you continue to use him you are an idiot.

make sure that he is 1099 on all work he has done for you and you can put a call in to the IRS, labor relations, workers comp or any other government agencies that can make his like miserable.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Is the sub trying to do the work that he would be doing on your project directly with the h/o?

Or is it an HVAC sub who did the whole system for you on the project and then went and changed a couple of registers for the h/o?

See what I mean about needing more info?

And if he only made $40-$50, I'm really lost. :blink:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Here's what you do, show up on one of his jobs, and start marketing to his customer, see how happy he is with it.

Inevitably, he will become irate and be like "what are you doing here?", it may even escalate to a physical confrontation. If it does, don't back down, go for the weak spots (eyes, throat, groin) - you must assert your dominance in front of the customer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hes playing the "They asked me, I didnt ask them" bull****.. Then he insisted that he doesnt bite the hand that feeds him..

Yet, I find out later that he is giving my customers his business cards on the side... Also, talking to them about the winter work I had lined up and alternatively looking at bidding against me (however I hadnt given them a price yet) Come to find out, I called them (with my suspissions) and gave them a low baller price *also as a good will gesture* for the work they've given me this season.. Turns out they "thought" my subs price was better and are scrammbling to cancel with him to have me do it =)... In otherwords i flushed out the fukn troll from under MY bridge!

Naw, hes a gonner.. he wont be doing any sub work for me again...

I just wanted opinions on how to handle this guy... I in the worse way want to get tanggled, only b/c im tired of getting jacked....

Im to honest and trusting of a guy i guess... I asume I need to reflect a negative nasty image in order to keep fkn tools like him in line... Ive never had to deal with this **** before... it just upsets me when a business guy like myself (and others) want to do right by their customers AND their employees *a sub is an indirect employee* and you're **** on...

Tiss the season and everyone smells blood right now...

I should have ditched him after I realized he was only hanging 2 double rolls a day...

****n loser!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I can't imagine a client that would do that. Do you really want to work for someone who would knowingly do something underhanded like that? And if tey didn't realize it was underhanded, do you really want to work for someone who is that stupid? Yes, the sub is an a-hole. But so is your client.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need a punching bag...

None competes are tricky...

First of all, if your sub contracts on the side, you cannot legally inhibit his/her abilities of competing (even in the same market).. However, you can keep him/her from directly marketing and competing against you on the SAME customer.

Also, there is a statute of limitation on it... NO none compete (nation wide) is valid beyond a 2-3 yr period.

None competz are really used on idiots that fall for them and think they are some sort of long term binding agreement, in reality they are not.. They're also only enforcable through arbitration if you have compensated the individual in some way in order ($$$) to legitimize the none compete agreement... in most cases a judge will throw out the none compete in court if the employee*sub has gone past a naturalized time frame (2-3) yrs...

I only know this b/c my wife signed one, and was threatned with a layoff.. She replied that she would go to a dif distributor that wanted to hire her... They said she couldnt... My lawyer said "Served beotch!"

back to the sub... He is obviously a guy who thinks hes pretty damn slick.. I will be replacing him as soon as i can, in the mean time - just more work for me to do and more $... I will let it eat him up when I stop sending him on jobs... He will walk away =).... and I will laugh..

Ive heard through my connections that this guy is hurting for side work... guess he thought hed get away with bitting my hand...

I will play stupid and just not throw him bones anymore...

As for hitting people... :laughing:... I cant and dont do that anymore :whistling

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't imagine a client that would do that. Do you really want to work for someone who would knowingly do something underhanded like that? And if tey didn't realize it was underhanded, do you really want to work for someone who is that stupid? Yes, the sub is an a-hole. But so is your client.
In my area the clients are devils... Very hard market area... Dutchy people think you owe them the world and then some.

Ive even had an 80yr old withold a balance until i washed his rentals for free :laughing:

By the way im talking about PA! Dont come here, its quick sand of a state.. The taxes are out of this world and most of the people SUCK! very rude climate out here, always has been:sad:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe.... but, even if that is the case I should be grateful for my clients deception for exposing a fk bag..

Id rather pay an illegal an HONEST wage than a CROOKED fkn American.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Dutchy people think you owe them the world and then some.
Oooh, the Dutch. I had to finally turn down a job with a Dutch lady three weeks into negotiations once. I had to tell her that we weren't a good fit and went on my merry way. She was unbelievable. Damned disrespectful.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is a paper hanger - that paints on the side as well...

The paper hangers in my area think they are demi gods... When i was hunting for a quality paper hanger - I had one gal tell me she wanted 100$hr...

Just to give you an idea... They "think" they have the market cornered out here.. Little do they know, their work sucks and I have no problem teaching some high school grad how to hang paper next season :laughing::laughing::laughing: Im sure the kid would be happy to get a pay check from a guy whos checks dont bounce, pays on time, treats you with respect

I feel this is leading to a "whats thsi guys name" - in advance, im not going to say LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts