Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the stage in my recent build that I will sand the joints in my sub floor with a floor sander to ensure flatness. Just curious if any of you guys do the same. I started doing this a few years back. It helps out with any hard surface finish flooring that will come later.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yes, I've done it many times. I used to work for a company that would spray paint the high spots on every house, then we would go around with a hand held floor sander and grind them down. I wouldn't take off more than 1/8 of an inch though, if it has to go down more than that, take off a section of sub-floor and cut back whatever is causing the hump.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
I do it on every new const job where I lay hardwood. Especially if it's been exposed to much moisture.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TJI joists, 3/4'' T&G plywood, whats to sand:eek:, GMOD
It is TJI's 16"oc with 3/4 T&G advantech but you still get some edge swell or milling difference. Also advantech does recommends sanding, just curious who else sanded it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sand every time - for hardwood finishes. Flatness criteria from manufacturers are pretty clear and not hard to meet, but a single swelled joint is a major headache after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts