Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hardwood floor install over a slab with radiant heating embedded in the slab. I'm planning on using 3/4" sub floor so i can nail the floor ( the only way in my opinion ). I don't have the luxury of the location of the pex in the slab. My question is can the sub floor be adhered to the slab with any hope for success, success being squeak proof floor for ever and ever, or do i need to find a way to tap con or ram set the sub floor to the slab. Thanks for the extra pair of brains...

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Welcome to CT. Just a heads up, it's protocol here to do an introduction in that section and please fill out your profile. You'll get lot's of great help here after you do that:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the plywood is warped you are going to need alot of weight to hold it down until the glue dries. I am not all that familiar with radiant slabs, but I am sure it has to be at a certain depth below the surface, so just use a fastener that is not long enough to hit the pex. But it is a risk, especially if you dont know the guys that installed it. You could always try thermal imaging depending on the spacing it may show up as a big red blur though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're on the same page. I figured sand bags if I go for the glue, but the more I think about it, the more i figure the slab crew surly smashed them down during the pour. 1 1/4 tap cons should do the trick.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unless you know for certain where the tubing is do not nail or screw into the slab. It's a risk not worth taking.

I use two layers of 1/2" plywood with plenty of relief cuts, to allow it to lay flat. Stagger the joints and staple the two layers together, then proceed as normal with the flooring.

I let the assembly float, but you can set the first layer of ply in your adhesive of choice.

A wood floor that never squeaks is an unreasonable goal IMO. Somewhere, at sometime, it seems that they all squeak. It's part of the charm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the tubing, i agree it's not worth the risk. I like the 1/2" over 1/2" method, but am i to understand that overall the floor is in no way attached to the slab? I have always tap con'd the sub floor to the slab with a moisture barrier in between, rather than rely on gravity alone. I have yet to install a squeaky floor using this method. Has anyone ever used just floor cement for a sub floor? I'd love first hand experience, but i still dig the opinions too. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts