Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Sub-Contractors Hate Signing Contracts

14K views 129 replies 38 participants last post by  CarpenterSFO 
I'm sorry, anyone that does business "with a handshake" is a fool. Period. And I've told them if they disagree with any of the verbiage I'm happy to adjust it/etc.

I've done business "with a handshake" several times and 9 out of 10 times it bit me in the ass. If someone isn't willing to sign a contract, then they're shady - period. If you have good intentions and willing to take responsibility for your work then there's nothing to fear.

Ridiculous. Anyway, in the hours since I posted this, they agreed to sign the agreement with a few minor changes which I happily made.
If your high falutin ass talks to people like that in person, you need a good smack in the mouth from time to time...it'll break u of that chit. Come on up to IL, I know a fella that would be glad to start your training.....

EDIT:

you would get a knuckle sandwich from me if you tried talking to me like that nitwit..
You beat me to it, lol

I agree with the OP. A contract should be signed unless you are dealing with a trusted person. Clients tend to have amnesia when it comes to a lot of things. Especially when you discuss lots of different option and they finally choose one.

The only times I ever have problems is when I do business without a contract.

I don't see how this can possibly offend anyone (including you thankers) for doing business this way. Good, fair contracts keep both parties honest.

The one with the AIA that throws all responsibility on the sub is not a fair contract so I wouldn't count that towards my statement.
I don't think the problem is WHAT he's saying, it's HOW he's saying it.

You say yourself "unless it's a trusted person". A lot of people only work with subs they know and trust.

But then Mr. Architect comes along and says anyone who don't use a contract with a sub (that's what we're talking about, not Joe Shmo customer) is a fool, and that's just how it is ("Period") because HE said so.

Well that's not "just how it is". There is no across the board right and wrong way of doing business. If it works for you, then it works....good 'nuf.

If he don't like doing business without a contract, fine...good for him. It works for him, so it's no concern of mine (or anyone else).

Bottom line of it is, it's easy to sit behind your monitor and call everyone that don't agree with you a fool....do that chit in person, and you'll find yourself on the wrong end of someone's fist, in a lot of cases. "Period".

I think that's what Struble was getting at....I know that's what I was getting at.

You bet you azz id have a contract for a 2mil job!!. My average job is $1,000 and takes about 2 hours.. Im sure those of us who work off a handshake would have a change of heart for that kind of coin..
Maybe, maybe not...If I did, it would be for such things as a "lost business" payment, etc., but either way it wouldn't change the fact that I'm going to be playing the game with THEIR 2 million bucks, not mine.

I find it laughable that so many CONTRACTORS operate outside of a WRITTEN contract. It's no wonder why the failure rate in our business is so high.

That's ok, that equals more business for the rest of us. What will you tell the judge when he/she asks to review your agreement ??? Uhhhhh well...ummm. But we shook hands your honor! Good luck with that.
I find it laughable that you've been on here for over 3 years and have 23 posts. :thumbsup:

Aside from that though, who are you to tell anyone how to run THEIR business?

There are a LOT of contractors out there who have operated for years without a contract. If you feel the need for one, then use one. If they don't feel the need, then that's their business.

Again, it's easy to run your mouth from behind the monitor.

The reality of the issue is contracting is a business! That being said, business requires documentation and agreements being in writing.

What happens if one of the person that shook hands and agreed on something was killed before a project was completed? Without documentation there would be a void and misunderstandings!

The contractors that treat their company as a business will be the builders of tomorrow! Sadly, that includes documenting and putting things in writing!
It doesn't REQUIRE anything. Some like it, some don't....that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.