Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, and trying to find ways to update my business to todays ways of protecting a business, I am old school, and trying to get with the times. I am one of the GC's that has done everything on a handshake with subs I have used for years, but times sure have changed, some retired, moved to a different career, etc. These days I have to get competitive bids from several new subs, they ask me for a scope and I really want to give them something that compares apples to apples. Does anyone know if any software companies produce a simple template for subs scope of work. I am not a computer guru, so I find it very difficult to make a template on my own. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And another question to those here with more computer knowledge than I, has anyone used a company called PEM Software Systems, Inc.? I can't find any unbiased reviews about the company.

·
Registered
General Contractor
3 Posts
I personally use a PM software suite called CORECON. It is not well known like procore or buildtrend but it has EVERYTHING that procore does and is very customizable. The reason I bring it up in this thread is they have a great estimating section that allows you to create ITBs (invitation to bid) which you can easily send your estimate or scope of work to as many contractors as you like; you can then send individualized trade RFP packages to the companies that respond that they want to bid on the project sent out in the initial ITB.

It also allows you to create your own job cost estimate database or they have CSI 95, 16 etc. pre formatted job cost coding for estimating.

check the software out, i have been using it for a year plus now.... http://www.corecon.com

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
509 Posts
Armchair builder has some decent scopes of work. I can't remember if they're easily modified or not but I think they're relatively inexpensive. just do a Google search and you'll find them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I sent out requests for a quote, I typically included drawings and a written scope of work which was nothing more than a WORD document, listing everything I wanted them to include.

Also, always told subs to include any alternate suggestions that they though might improve quality or reduce costs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've written a lot of subcontracts over the years. My philosophy is to try to be as general as you can in a specific scope of work. For example, do all the ***X work in accordance with the plans and specifications. According to my attorney, if you try to start listing things, and you either forget something or it's confusing, you lose. Yes, you need to clarify certain scope of work things (who supplies the crane) but don't say this is based on hanging 500 sheets of drywall.

Then, there is usually another multi page document with all the BS stuff. Payment terms, submittals, General Conditions, etc.

Keep in mind I have done mostly commercial where you end up with multiple bids from multiple subs, a lot of whom you do not know. In commercial, it all starts with the low price.

I had a really sleezy paint sub a couple months ago who had an attractive price. It was NOT scary low. As I spent all of 2 minutes looking at it, I found he only bid 1 prime and 1 finish. Specs called for 1 + 2. Called him. His answer was if I bid it per specs, I'll be too high!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts