Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing a multi building project, about 80 roofing squares per building. We are so busy we had to hire a sub to do this project for us. We've used this sub a few times in the past and they do decent work. Not great but very fast and usually good enough.

We were supposed to start building 4 on Monday. I assumed we wouldn't be out until Tuesday because it was the holiday and I know his guys are drinkers. Here it is wednesday and his guys still aren't out even though he has told me they would be there repeatedly.

I told him I was going to replace him because his guys wern't out today like he promised or yesterday either. Wow! He acted like he was doing us a favor and I was in his debt until I said that. The whole attitude did a 180.

I think I am a fair an nice guy, I even think I let our subs have a little bit too much slack on some of our jobs... but 3 days of no shows? I don't tolerate scheduling blunders or unsafe or unclean jobsites.

I don't think I was out of line, do you?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Day 2 would have done it for me, and then HE cops an attitude?
There are good guys out there looking for work, go find one.
Does drinking and roofing mix? Sounds like a poor combo to me. I can assure that I would never get on a roof impaired.
Were you out of line? :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
99 Posts
You did the right thing Grumpy. I would have pitched him after 2. And had someone else in their before midday. You were in the right and VERY leanent. In my opinion.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, If you noticed I said 'impaired'. In my terminology that would include hungover or still being drunk from the night before.
I often use LaborFinders for grunt work like digging footers and I listen. Many of these people brag about how much they had to drink the night before. One said that he had drunk a 18 pack and had to go back to store for another 12 pack. Impaired? Yea! Where he was working he had 18 fewer inches before he hit the ground. LaborFinders also covers it if he dies on the job, his relatives will use the money to buy more booze.

·
Registered
34 Posts
drunk, hungover, tired all mean the same here "unproductive" and I give the day off to them all the time and tell them in thirty you get two off and you are gone. But with subs it's almost all the time that I have to deal with problems as I feel that I'm there baby sitter. I thought it was me for the longest time but I guess we all have problems but ussually I leave enough room in the contract for dead days. so 95 % of the time if they are on the site they are on payroll. Sorry Subs perform better, maybe next time !

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update on the sub status is that I am allowing him to finish this last roof but am setting up one of my crews on the remaining buildings even though it's going to push back my schedule for residential work.

The nail in the coffin was the punch list the association sent me today. Just minor stuff that can be easily corrected, but each item on the list was something I mentioned to him previously and never got fixed.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Tell him goodbye, Grumpy, before he ruins your rep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts