Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm a woman and I'm in construction with my husband. We've used an old Craftsman rolling toolbox for over 10 years - LOVE IT! It's heavy-duty, but not too heavy, it's on wheels, and it has 3 levels. Problem is, it recently broke.

In looking for a new one, I find everything at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight CHEAPLY made in comparison to what we have.

In addition we use a truck with a tonneau cover so the toolbox can't be too tall.

There HAS to be someone out there making good, sturdy toolboxes.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go to find one?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
We've used an old Craftsman rolling toolbox for over 10 years - LOVE IT! It's heavy-duty, but not too heavy, it's on wheels, and it has 3 levels. Problem is, it recently broke.
I have one of those for some of my tools, I wish they still made them. Extremely sturdy and holds a ton of stuff. I don't think anything available now will hold as much as that one does. And I think is was less than $50 to boot.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Probably way more than you want to spend but have you checked Snap-On?

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
How on earth has nobody recommended Tanos Systainers (or Festool) yet????
Great for the tools that come in them and for finish tools and fasteners, but expensive and not the toughest built boxes. I have some and love them for what I use them for. For my everyday, throw in the back of the truck or van boxes, I use the tough system. Bosch l boxx looks like a good viable option as well.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have some Dewalt Tough System boxes that I like for tossing in the bed under the tonneau. They're sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about tying them down every time and they can stay in the bed if the tonneau is folded up or taken off. All my 20V Max tools will fit in one extra large box with one charger and three batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I should have mentioned it NEEDS to roll. I'll bet our current toolbox weighs 100 lbs easy. We put TONS of stuff in it. I'm surprised it didn't break sooner. I like how the Dewalt will let me stack and lock, but looks like it might be expensive to build, but our best option. I also like the stacking option as we do so many different thing (from residential kitchens/baths/handyman jobs to large commercial projects such as WalMart or Kmart stores...) many different kinds of projects means always having to have many different types of tools.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just checked out all the systems y'all mentioned. Thanks! Guess I'm not getting my toolbox replaced for under $100 no matter what I do. LOL

·
Registered
585 Posts
The good stuff costs money... If I were you I'd build my own out of plywood. Old guy I used to work with had a really sweet rolling plywood box. Drawers and locking compartments the whole deal. Like a mechanic's box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts