Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you have two fillets (aka parting stock) in this situation? One directly over the door and one over the window or just have the one fillet over the window?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the window is over the door, I figured a sill would be inappropriate. I Goggled it and found it done a number of ways. Here's a pic of the terms (on the left) and how I figured I would do it (on the right).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Since the window is over the door, I figured a sill would be inappropriate. I Goggled it and found it done a number of ways. Here's a pic of the terms (on the left) and how I figured I would do it (on the right).

I've seen it done both ways.

Personal preference or local style....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the one on the right do without a head casing on the door?
It has the piece referred to as a "fillet" in the drawing and then a head casing, then another pair of side casings alongside the window, then another fillet, top casing and then the casing cap. My installation will actually have cove molding at the interface between the upper head casing and the casing cap.

Reactions: tenon0774

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It has the piece referred to as a "fillet" in the drawing and then a head casing, then another pair of side casings alongside the window, then another fillet, top casing and then the casing cap. My installation will actually have cove molding at the interface between the upper head casing and the casing cap.
I was going to say that it would look wrong, but several of the doors in my home have the bead/fillet below the head casing, and I made them that way, so I now realize that it is the only right way to do it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was going to say that it would look wrong, but several of the doors in my home have the bead/fillet below the head casing, and I made them that way, so I now realize that it is the only right way to do it.
I'm guessing you're saying that with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

There are a lot of Craftsman style homes in my area (Kessler area of Oak Cliff - Dallas). I don't think I've seen two exactly the same. I'd be hard pressed to say that any I've seen just looked wrong, so I certainly wouldn't say only one is right.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
That's how they're usually done around here (single fillet), but the top cap is the same thickness as the fillet (1/2") and bed mold is put underneath the cap, with a 1/4" reveal (on the cap). Meaning the top cap is 2 1/8" (head casing is 3/4 + 1 7/8 bed mold + 1/4 reveal), if that makes sense. I trimmed my house in this style and it looks beeyooteefull :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts