Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am studying for my C10 exam. I took a one day class last weekend. They gave me a 20 question "final" at the end of the class and a few of the questions/answers did not seem right? What do you think the correct answer is for each?

A bedroom does not have a ceiling light. A wall outlet in the bedroom does not work, assuming the outlet is properly switched. What should the contractor do?
a) Replace the non-performing switch
b) Install a ceiling light
c) Nothing, assuming the outlet is properly switched
d) None of the above.

and:

A stranded wire with the same AWG as a solid wire _______.
a) Has the same resistance
b) Has a higher ampacity
c) Is larger in total diameter
d) Is used for higher voltages

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
What do YOU think the answers are, and why?

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
Not being an electrician I will say that both answers are (A).

No ceiling light presupposes that there must be a switched receptacle and therefore the switch is not working properly.

The second, I am fairly sure that both wires are equal in resistance and can carry equal amps, voltage etc. and other factors other than the stranded is more flexible.

Probably wrong but what the hell, I have never shied away from publicly humiliating myself before so why should I now?

Andy.

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My answers were.

a) Replace the non-performing switch.
If the outlet is wired properly then it must be the switch that is the problem. Or a better answer might be to test the switch first. So "D" would be the best.

As far as the school , they said the correct answer was
"c) Nothing, assuming the outlet is properly switched"

for the second one i said "a) Has the same resistance"
I thought that a 12g stranded was larger than a 12g solid but I thought that both were rated at 20amp so answer "a" was more important?

As far as the schools "right" answer.
"c) Is larger in total diameter"

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
Both are stupid questions.

One should never assume anything for a test, and 12 stranded can be the same diameter as 12 solid.... they've never heard of compact stranded?

Reactions: Laketahoedan

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

One should never assume anything for a test, and 12 stranded can be the same diameter as 12 solid.... they've never heard of compact stranded?

I agree and can only assume that the state of California will not have such lame and ambiguous questions.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts

·
Registered
12,917 Posts

I went with (C) on the second because it did not state "compact" stranded. The same reason I went with (D) on the first, assume nothing.

The schools answer is very wrong for #1, the question/statement states "a wall outlet (the wrong word, it should read recepticale) in a bedroom does not work". How can it be nothing, if "it does not work"?

Tom

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
The first question seems to be about folks who have called us all too many times about "that one outlet that isn't working for my computer"...or "has never worked for as long as I've lived here". I've shown that wall switch "trick" dozens of times to folks, some even who were getting their home ready for sale (so they never used it as long as they lived there). :)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
The first question seems to be about folks who have called us all too many times about "that one outlet that isn't working for my computer"...or "has never worked for as long as I've lived here". I've shown that wall switch "trick" dozens of times to folks, some even who were getting their home ready for sale (so they never used it as long as they lived there). :)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,701 Posts
Hopefully you can get a refund on the practice tests.

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
going through this now with my practice tests.... on one test, shows one answer correct, another test shows a different correct answer.......going in thursday with crossed fingers.......
let me guess. Contractors State License Services.

I have found tons of conflicting information. The upside of it is that I am forced to research everything to find the right answers and in doing so I learn more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
let me guess. Contractors State License Schools.

I have found tons of conflicting information. The upside of it is that I am forced to research everything to find the right answers and in doing so I learn more.

Yes sir!!!! I find myself hitting the "technical problem with this question" button pretty frequently.... Even something as simple as square footage for a 12'3"x 11'9" ceiling comes up as 145.3 square ft......for the correct answer.:jester: Granted, like you said, I have to research more often, and this only locks it deeper in my little brain....so for the $106 I am still learning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts