Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss gave me his copy of the "1999 NEC Handbook" to study from.

I think the exam, when I get to take it will be based on the latest code.

Will studying from the 1999 code as opposed to the latest code be different enough to cause major problems with my understanding and answering the questions on the exam?

Even though all the areas we work in at this time still use the 1999 code, should I be studying and learning the latest code reguardless?

Also does anyone know of material to study that they feel for any reason would be better than the "xxxx NEC Handbook"?

Unfortunately Trade School or Collage is not possible for me in the foreseeable future.

Any suggestions on good ways to deal with this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any replies,

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
If your area is on the '99 code, you can be reasonably sure that the test will be based on the '99 version. Localities base their tests on the current code version they use. There are changes every 3 years that number in the hundreds. Only a small handfull are considered "major changes".

If your test is on the '05, then you really should study the '05.

Code authors Mike Holt and Tom Henry are the absolute 2 best guys that make books and DVD's specifically to prepare a person to take these sorts of tests.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much mdshunk.
The best I have been able to discern so far, I will be tested on the 2005 code.
I found that info at the " Alabama Electrical Contractors Board" web site.
Its possible the areas I wok in are based on the 2002 or 2005 code, but I just didn't realize it because my boss has always had me referring to the 1999 code book.
He may just keep abreast of the changes but not have wanted (or felt it nessasary) to fork out the cash for the latest code book.
I am going to look into it.

Thank you again,

P.S
I looked up Mike Holt on the web, there is a lot going on there. An excellent recomendation!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts