Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everybody like for a quality stud finder these days.The old Zircon finally bit the dust.Was not bad but think there should be something better out there these days?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I bought a Franklen and it's pretty neat. Foolproof. 1, 2, 3 studs is obvious. I have yet to find something that really works on lath and plaster though.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used the magnet too but do some jobs where it would be nice to have one of the new ones that also locates wiring.Juist figured with todays technology there would be some really good ones out for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had fewer "false" readings, with the Franklin, than anything other than the magnet based ones.

Magnets .... sometimes, I'll spend a great deal of time, sliding them up down and all around ... trying to find that elusive screw (the fifties through seventies nailed drywall is even more difficult).

It ain't the holy grail, but that Franklin unit is the best that I've found.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Another plug for the Franklen: There's no wait for calibration. You don't have to start off a stud. You can start in the air, on a stud, off a stud. As you move it you watch the stud indicators move with the stud. Very easy to tell if it's reading accurately.

Also, I like the horizontal shape when looking for a stud between outlet and cabinet. I've only had it for a couple houses but so far so good.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I was about to buy the Franklin when I noticed the CH Hanson magnetic one, on the same page. I bought the Hanson one. It works great. Obviously not on lath and plaster. Drywall and thincoat plaster it is good. I also never need batteries for it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts