Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In hindsight, I really overstepped my bounds, but all parties seem quite happy by my design suggestion. It is by no means a great design, but for the usage of material on the jobsite and time constraint.....yeah it's a winner.

I did not pass this by the guy who I work for prior to mocking this up and he was less than enthusiastic when he first saw it. It's been a stressful time at this job. Too many chiefs at client level if you get my drift.

Everything is just about done in this room except these columns. I was told to send the frame up the face of this mdf column and reduce it where the "rafter" meets the column.

I personally thought that was going to look so bad that I could not stand it. To make matters worse, the large "rafter" does not sit right on top of the column. 3 of these were off so bad that I couldn't even do what they wanted me to do. We have a bunch of scrap crown left and had plenty to do this. The guy I'm working for doesn't have to pay for material and gets T&M for us doing it. I thought it was win-win for everyone, but I did step over the line and fessed up to him after about 10 minutes and regaining some composure.

Essentially the only thing I suggested putting up was the crown and the base under the crown, just to dress it up and make it look more in line with whats in the room.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Framerman I like it.
You know that thing about chain of command and stepping on peoples toe's?
In that one small capital and trim thats so easy on the eye there are 12 mitre cuts and 4 square cuts.
What may have pizzed him off is he didn't think of it.
But I still like it complements on a good job well done. billy.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nice job Framerman. Welcome to the world of trim, or should I say the world of saving everyone's a$$. Including all those tunnel visioned "Chiefs"
If you don't stick your neck out, you will join those sticking their thumb up their...:eek:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
what a difference:thumbup:always push the limits with what
you think is best,yea you may decide you screwed up
and rip it off once in awhile and other times you come up with that:clap:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
That looks good. But I wouldn't assume that just because he get T & M, he'll always be happy with the extras. You don't know if the client sat him down that morning and asked him to corral all the little extras. On the good side, it's easily torn off if no one likes it. It's the permanent design flourishes that can mess you up.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Looks good, way to improvise:thumbsup:

I know what you mean about Cheifs n Indiands....when we run into a detail problem there's 5 egos I deal with. Since no-one agrees, I usually just go ahead and mock up or tack together what I think will be best.

A detail like your OP would take three conferences and two days to wait for the detail sketch:rolleyes:....right or wrong, anymore, I will just do it. My ideas might not be the BEST possible solution, but work doesn't get put on hold......if I'm lucky, I'll see the problem long before we get there...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I would have just built it up with caluking.:thumbsup:

Nice custom work.

Being able to use material on hand and think up a solution to a not-so-everyday problem is what separates a good tradesman from a great tradesman. My attitude is always do what you think looks best and if they don't like it anything can be redone.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Aargh! They painted your column! In the photo the wood looked really interesting. What a shame to paint over it. Looks nice though.
Steve
It's Poplar and MDF

It's paint grade.

Thank you for the compliment. I treat paint grade with as much care as stain grade. It makes it look so much better without gobs of caulk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice trim work! The only thing I would add (If they were paying for it) would be a small light on top of the column to light the ceiling up show some more depth in there. Great job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts