Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the info re the shed dormer. Now, this brainiac applied stucco on the walls of the dormer such that the t-locks on the main roof (which are laid over cedar shingles) are embedded in it. My thought is to cut the stucco close to the roof and break out the shingles, strip, clean, ply, paper and reshingle with thirty-year. Step flash up the stucco wall, then cut a 1/4" groove in the stucco 4" up from and parallel to the roof, then take counter flashing with a 1/4" 90 degree on it and embed it in caulking in the groove, and screw the flashing to the wall with neoprene washered screws. Anyone got any better ideas or reasons why this won't work? Thanks for your time, Rich.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It will work. You might get lucky and be able to slide the step flashings up, behind the stucco. You might also be able to slide "J" Metal over the step flashings to end the stucco properly.
Jim

·
Registered
378 Posts
The prefered method would be to break away about 6 inchs or so of stucco leaving paper and lathe intact. Then install roof /flashings lapping paper/lathe over flashings. Stucco can then patched,irregular edge will help patch bond and blend into existing stucco.This method puts the drainage plane correctly behind the stucco.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would cut all the shingles tight to the walline install 5x7 bent wall tins (Step flashing) Cut your counter flashing in like you said. This type of counter flashing is called reglet metal. This is very common way for us to flash stucco wallines and chimney here in Minnesota. the code here requires that we do not terminate any flashings to the roof deck and wall or any vertical surfaces due to expansion and contraction of the roof deck. if the wall is framed into framing of the roof deck it would be acceptable. We can terminate to one or the other. so the step flashing is terminated to the roof deck and the reglet is terminated to the stucco. we use reglet with a kick. so your 1/4 inch 90 degree bend also has a kick back so you have to tap it into your groove this also makes the flashing stay put. then run a bead of some good silicone down the seam to divert water away from cut.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. luck, jm? "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all." Got the roof stripped and then the heavens opened and it POURED. Gotta love working under tarps. If the gods smile I'll have that side buttoned tomorrow. Rich.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts