Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of people using some form of heavy duty brad nail to install wire rather than hand nailing? Im looking to explore using a compressor and gun to speed things along. I figure after practically no change in prepping for stucco in years, maybe there was a staple/brad nail heavy enough and the right material for the job.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about for the chicken wire? Everyone around here uses a wide crown stapler to attach it.
Yeah ive heard very vaguely that some sort of staple can teplace the box nail. Im going to try and find and inspector to ask at some point. Its like every inspector has their own code books in the Vancouver area so im nervous about spending the $.
The staples are not concrete coated like the nails. What material would be approved and size? The job must go light years faster using a staple gun?? Is the wire still stretched with a few nails though?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
We tack the wire up with a couple nails here and there then go back after and staple it off.

We have a couple of these Bostitch staplers....

Reactions: BARTOSZEK

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use a slap staple gun to hold it in place most of the time, Then back nail with a wide crown stapler. You can also use a roofing gun but the heads become a pain on the first coat some times.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Construction is regional, but I've never heard of people using finish nails to attach lath. Come to think of it, is a heavy duty brad nail a 16 ga?
I'm clueless, but not the first time and not the last.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Construction is regional, but I've never heard of people using finish nails to attach lath. Come to think of it, is a heavy duty brad nail a 16 ga?
I'm clueless, but not the first time and not the last.
16 gauge, 1/2 inch is the biggest bostitch carries. Not talking about finishing nails! That would be a tough sell! Lol
From what i hear everyone in the states uses them. I need to find some local advice but its been tough

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
16 gauge, 1/2 inch is the biggest bostitch carries. Not talking about finishing nails!
lol. I was wondering about that as I couldn't wrap my head around that concept. I call them 'stucco staplers'. Yahoo search 'wide crown stucco stapler' and you should find something.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I would check with city hall on that one (parking is free there believe it or not) 12th and Cambie, Vancouver.

Reason is that staplers for sheathing work was dis-allowed several years back, so I'd really check with the inspector or one of the folks in the office too see if it's allowed for stucco work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts