Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call to help a HO put some siding up on a addition I did this spring. Left it framed and sheeted and good to go, HO was going to do the rest. So I get the call and I figure it's vinyl double 4 or something. He got cement board with a stucco finish in a 4x8x1/4" sheets. Long story short I put it up but of course there are seams. HO said he just wants to caulk them. I can't see caulk, you'll always see the seam and look pita. I am thinking of taping and blending the stucco finish, kinda floating the seam.

What's the norm for covering the seams on this stuff? Can I go over the cement board with mortar and cover the seams just like drywall and imitate the texture?

·
Super Moderator
10,659 Posts
Not sure Hardi recommends taping the joints. Usually around here the joints are covered with cedar. Tudor style. Did it ever occur to you before you installed it as to how you were gonna finish it?

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure Hardi recommends taping the joints. Usually around here the joints are covered with cedar. Tudor style. Did it ever occur to you before you installed it as to how you were gonna finish it?
:laughing: Yeah I deserve that. I was trying to do a favor for the guy, trying to button it up for winter. Yes it's a job because he's compensating me but it was my mistake for assuming he was going to use traditional double or something of the like. When he showed me what he bought my jaw dropped, never used it before or seen it for that matter.

It occurred to the HO, he bought 5 tubes of caulk. :eek:

Just thought I'd find someone that deals with the stuff for info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did a job with Certainteed fiber cement stucco panels. We covered the seems with pvc, but in your case I would just caulk the seems. Make sure you flash behind the seems well. The panels are made so when they are butted they blend with only a hairline crack. Here is how I flashed it. I made drip caps with lead coated copper for all horizontal seams.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts